Heat pump heat strip problem solved

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our heat pump HVAC system’s heat strips quit working. The thermostat would show the auxiliary was on but the strips were not producing heat, neither were the heat strips working when set on emergency heat.

After going through all kinds of trouble shooting and prepared to order a new heat strip unit, I had our neighbor come over and take a look at things and get his input. After he and I tried several diagnostics, he was looking at the unit when I activated the auxiliary heat and one contacts that feed the heat strips arced. This was on one the gizmos that regulate the heat strips as far as temperature. (Turning the strips off when the reach a certain temperature, etc.)

There are three of these gizmos that feed the electric current to each of the three strips.

I removed the gizmos and cleaned all the contacts and tightened up the female spade connectors and reinstalled them. Low and behold, that solved the problem and now the auxiliary heat and emergency heat are working!

Sometimes, it is a simple solution, and in this case………………… I thank my lucky stars.

We have a total electric house, so a heat pump is needed. If had my druthers, I would never have a heat pump and would prefer natural gas heat.

In my way of thinking, heat pumps can never be as efficient as natural gas heat in the northern latitudes, unless they are geothermal units; which are quite pricey to have installed. The heat strips must kick on when the temperatures drop below a certain point, and that requires a bunch of electricity.

Hopefully, no one else runs into heat pump heat strip problems, but if one does, it could be simple as a bad connection. Something to check!

Hopefully this helps!

Picture of gizmos with bad connection.

Attachments

• IMG_20240118_174526512.jpg
    IMG_20240118_174526512.jpg
    744 KB · Views: 6

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might be something to consider keeping a spare laying around if it isnt to expensive. Never know when it will go completely out.
Actually, that is my plan. For this unit, the cost is around $400.00 tax and all. It is pretty much plug and play.

Better to have it and not need it or be in need of it and wishing I had one.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a total electric house, so a heat pump is needed. If had my druthers, I would never have a heat pump and would prefer natural gas heat.

In my way of thinking, heat pumps can never be as efficient as natural gas heat in the northern latitudes, unless they are geothermal units; which are quite pricey to have installed. The heat strips must kick on when the temperatures drop below a certain point, and that requires a bunch of electricity.

Hopefully, no one else runs into heat pump heat strip problems, but if one does, it could be simple as a bad connection. Something to check!

Hopefully this helps!

Picture of gizmos with bad connection.

Even with natural gas heat, one needs to keep in mind that central heat would be useless unless one also has a generator to run the furnace. Years ago, when we were on the farm/ranch, our houses had stand-alone furnaces or wall heaters that would always work if the electricity went out.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First I appreciate your sharing this and am glad you’re back up and running. I Never had a heat pump until moving here and boy, it’s been an education. Wasn’t it October of 2021 when we all lost power? I was sitting in the cat-bird seat thinking I was set with my 22KW generator when the thing kept kicking off on “over current”. Come to find out those darn heat strips draw 86 amps which is just about all my generator will put out. I’ve been told so many different stories (by hvac techs) I don’t know what to believe BUT there are two 60A two pole breakers on the dead front. I believe one controls the heat pump and one strip while breaker #2 is for the two strips tied to “emergency heat”. I can maybe 🤷🏼‍♂️ throw breaker 2 which will only allow one set of heat strips to work OR pull the dead front and remove one of the wires going to one of the coils in the three control relays for heat strips tied to breaker #2 limiting myself to two heater strips that can work. That at least was my plan but now if we lose power again like that I’ll just shut off the heater all together and heat the house with our propane/gas fireplace and ceiling fans to circulate the air. I ran a test this past cold spell and that fireplace burns around 15 gallons a day keeping the house a toasty 78°.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even with natural gas heat, one needs to keep in mind that central heat would be useless unless one also has a generator to run the furnace. Years ago, when we were on the farm/ranch, our houses had stand-alone furnaces or wall heaters that would always work if the electricity went out.
True! That is why I have portable generators I have used to run small ceramic heaters, the blower on the fireplace, refrigerator and freezers, etc. I can't run the well pump or heat pump or clothes dryer or electric stove.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Firpo: I think heat pumps are an abomination. Been living with one for 37 years. Actually we are on the second unit. The first AC/Heat Pump died at 23 years of age. This one is getting up in years. The AC/ works great. For heat, I can't believe heat pumps are all that efficient. And like you say, when your power goes out, you better have a big generator to run one.

A few years back when we had the major ice storm, we were without power from the grid for 4 days. Ran two generators to separate legs of the breaker box and got by with small heaters and fireplace. Cooked outside on the pellet grill. Fortunately, it has been a rare occurrence to losing power for over an hour or two since we have lived here. Our rural Electric company does a great job. ( CREC )

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One home we bought had a new Heat Pump installed and the seller was harping that the return and delivery duct work was matched to the Heat Pump. Later on I found out why he was harping about it, a Heat Pump moves air, lots of air and if a home was set up for normal HVAC it would be inadequate for the air movement as a Heat Pump needs larger return and delivery ducts.

The home was kept warm and cool I will say, but it took us awhile to adjust too the air moving a lot as in unit running more than our last standard HVAC system.

Latest posts

Top Bottom