Suggestions on Rifle to Buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juddweiser

Marksman
Reaction score
Got about $500 burning a hole in pocket and am thinking about a new or good used rifle, narrowed it down to the following:

Savage 10 ML (own a knight 50 cal)
Winchester 9422M
257 Wby
264 Win
30-06

Anybody got any suggestions?

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well think about like this.
If you're gonna get a good hunting round in a rifle.
Might want to also consider rings/mount and a scope in the deal also.
All of the sudden $500 doesn't go so far.

That being said the '06 is a good all around proven round.

Oh and welcome to OSA.
Be sure to check back as other will come along.

juddweiser

Marksman
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. I have an extra Weaver 6-24 x 42 lying around that came off of the 243 that I just sold. Also have a 22-250 and 300 WSM, was kinda just wanting something new, but not sure what to get.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you just want something to play around with and have fun. Out of the guns you mentioned, the Winchester would be the most fun to shoot repeatedly. I'm kind of wanting a keltec sub 2000, seems like lots of fun and cheap to shoot.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to Walmart and look at their ammo and what it costs. The 30-06, .308, 270, .243, are about $14 a box and are about the most cost effective hunting ammo you can get. The 30/30 and .223 are even cheaper but the 06 probably gives the most power per dollar spent. Most other calibers are double or triple the cost and I personally don't even want to own a gun that is over a dollar per shot.

If you reload that is another story.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think your best buy would be a Savage model 110 chambered for .30-06 Springfield. I see ads for them in a package deal, rifle, sling and boresighted 3x9 scope for $300-350 a few years ago. Price went up a couple hundred the last few years. The accutrigger feature on those rifles sounds very shooter friendly to me. No personal experience with Savage rifles, though. My centerfire caliber bolt-actions are Winchester model 70 types. Winchester prices seem to jump into the $600-800 range. I can sing praises about their looks, accuracy and ergonomics, though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom