Sunday Oklahoman: Current laws don't keep guns from severely mentally ill in Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Subhead: Two recent Oklahoma City cases point to loopholes in system designed to keep guns out of the hands of the severely mentally ill.

By Juliana Keeping
Published: October 20, 2013

Daniel Green got a family member's handgun at home.

Gerald David Hume bought rifles and a handgun at Walmart and Gun World.

Green, who has been diagnosed with schizophrenia, is accused of killing two women, a teenage girl and a baby boy - all family members - in August.

Hume, also diagnosed with schizophrenia, is accused of shooting his mother to death and dismembering her body. Police made the gruesome discovery Nov. 14, after an 11-hour standoff in southeast Oklahoma City.

Green's family members took steps to keep the guns in the house away from him, but he got one anyway, police said.

Hume, although mentally ill and unstable, easily purchased weapons, Oklahoma City police said.

The scenarios paint a stark reality: The severely mentally ill have easy access to guns in Oklahoma.

The law

At H&H Shooting Sports, buyers show proof of age and residency before filling out seven pages of federal and store paperwork.

A potential buyer at the sprawling sport shooting complex and gun store stands at a computer kiosk to enter data on Form 4473.

The federal form is sent to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System in an effort to weed out people with issues like criminal activity and severe mental health issues in their backgrounds.

A question on the form asks “Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective?” The court jargon translates to being ruled a danger to yourself or others, unable to manage your affairs or committed to a mental institution.

“It encompasses individuals court-ordered for involuntary mental health treatment,” said Dewayne Moore, general counsel for the state Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services.

People ruled mentally defective by the court also include those who lack the capacity to take care of themselves, such as people with impaired memory or dementia.

“And then you have people who are found not guilty by reason of insanity,” Moore said.

“You have your individuals found not competent to stand trial.”

If a person checks “yes” to the question “Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective?” on the federal paperwork, the sale is canceled.

If the mental health question and others check out, the form is run through the national database.

Unlike questions pertaining to criminal conviction, when it comes to mental health, there is nothing to assure a respondent is being honest because Oklahoma law prohibits mental health professionals from sending mental health records to the database.

Other disqualifying records, like those for domestic violence and felony criminal convictions, are sent to the database.

Hume, the man accused of murdering his mother, checked “no” on the mental health question before purchasing his guns.

He is accused of shooting Janet Kay Hume, 77, multiple times and dismembering her.

House Bill 1240 sought to close the mental illness loophole by requiring county clerks to submit to the database the names of everyone the court found to be a danger to himself or others, found lacking the mental capacity to manage his own affairs, found insane in a criminal case or found to be incompetent to stand trial.

The bill captured a majority vote in the House but died in a Senate committee in the spring.

“Gun sellers were in favor of getting it done,” said Miles Hall, president and founder of H&H Shooting Sports. “Why it failed, I have no idea.”

The reality

Better background checks won't necessarily keep guns out of the hands of the severely mentally ill, Oklahoma City police Capt. Dexter Nelson said.

Guns are stolen. Gun shows and private sellers do not have a background check requirement. Or guns are simply available at home, like in Daniel Green's case.

“There were weapons in the house, and he lived there,” Nelson said.

Killed were Green's mother, Sallie Green, 57; his sister, Rebecca Cizek, 34; and Cizek's children, Katherine Cizek, 16, and Amario Dominguez III, who was 6 months old.

Green's father, Raymond Green, told police all of his guns were locked up in the house, though a family member's gun was hidden in the attic.

“That's another problem,” Nelson said.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = == = = = = = =

The Oklahoman has disabled comments on the article so I thought I'd start a thread here for the comments this deserves.

What say you, OSA???

Link: http://newsok.com/current-laws-dont-keep-guns-from-severely-mentally-ill-in-oklahoma/article/3895775

Last edited:

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just going to throw this out there.

I have a cousin that is very mentally ill, lots of pills, suicidal and homicidal. He cannot purchase firearms at all. Long story short he started shooting dogs that he lured into his yard because hes crazy. I called the sheriff, they didn't even check his ID or anything just asked if the dogs were in the yard and ok thats fine see you later. Even after I told them over and over he is not supposed to have the shotgun he has please check the serial on it and run his ID. They did absolutely nothing. I'm guessing they didn't feel like doing the paperwork.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unlike questions pertaining to criminal conviction, when it comes to mental health, there is nothing to assure a respondent is being honest because Oklahoma law prohibits mental health professionals from sending mental health records to the database.

Other disqualifying records, like those for domestic violence and felony criminal convictions, are sent to the database.

This is the biggest problem I have with the article. The nanny staters want the health industry to have the authority to deny a person their 2nd Amendment rights. That is wrong. Every last one of these disqualifying mental conditions carries a corresponding court record. Those court records should be reported to NICS, along with any subsequent rulings of mental competency.

As for safekeeping, if you have a person in your home who has a severe mental disorder such as schizophrenia, and you don't keep ALL of the firearms not on your person in a safe, you're pretty nuts yourself. :(

skatalite

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They disabled the comments because they don't like being called to account for their articles.

I am an editor for NewsOK and we disable comments on local crime stories. The way our workflow works is any story tagged "crime" automatically has comments disabled when it's published to the site. Since some crime stories aren't technically crime stories (like the one we're discussing here, in contrast to a murder story or some such), an editor has to go in and enable comments in the system.

Which I just did. Feel free to comment now.

Also, if you wish to point out anything you feel to be factually wrong in the article, contact Juliana Keeping (the reporter) at [email protected]. You can find more contact information here: http://newsok.com/home/nic

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Referring to the first two people listed in the article, were they diagnosed as being schizophrenic after arrest? Sure, they might have been nutty as squirrel turds (As many are), but unless they sought mental health eval and treatment or were forced to by a court/ emergency detention, who's to know exactly how nutty they were and what actionable threat did they pose to public safety?

Unless we screen 100% of the population for mental illnesses (which is impossible and wrong), there's no 100% way to identify potentially dangerous people. A few will slip through the cracks, and fewer still wil cause mayhem.

No law will fix that. Doing what you can to protect your firearms from unauthorized access does help, but who decides how much protection is defensible as "adequate"?

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am an editor for NewsOK and we disable comments on local crime stories. The way our workflow works is any story tagged "crime" automatically has comments disabled when it's published to the site. Since some crime stories aren't technically crime stories (like the one we're discussing here, in contrast to a murder story or some such), an editor has to go in and enable comments in the system.

Which I just did. Feel free to comment now.

Also, if you wish to point out anything you feel to be factually wrong in the article, contact Juliana Keeping (the reporter) at [email protected]. You can find more contact information here: http://newsok.com/home/nic

Thumbs up to you but I'd suggest you reconsider the tagging process. It's the equivalent of the "zero tolerance" policies in schools.

I shall be in contact with the reporter, as you suggest, too.

skatalite

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thumbs up to you but I'd suggest you reconsider the tagging process. It's the equivalent of the "zero tolerance" policies in schools.

I shall be in contact with the reporter, as you suggest, too.

The tagging process won't change as its a way to streamline where to put articles on the site. If you're referring to the comment policy, then do know I agree that comments should be allowed on all stories, and that commenters can moderate themselves. But, alas, those decisions are above my pay grade.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
The tagging process won't change as its a way to streamline where to put articles on the site. If you're referring to the comment policy, then do know I agree that comments should be allowed on all stories, and that commenters can moderate themselves. But, alas, those decisions are above my pay grade.

I guess the bias would come from tagging this story as "crime"... Interesting choice.

skatalite

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess the bias would come from tagging this story as "crime"... Interesting choice.

I don't know where along the process where the story was tagged crime. It was also tagged Oklahoma City, mental health, news, local and state. These tags filter the story throughout the site. Since the story has a criminal element – it uses two murders as the subject – it was tagged crime, and appropriately so. There's no bias in the tagging process.

The reporter might have tagged it crime, or her editor, or the copy editor. Either way, it is tagged appropriately, but the issue is when comments are immediately disabled when the tag is applied. It's up to human intervention to fix that part, which is what I did this morning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom