Sunday Oklahoman: Current laws don't keep guns from severely mentally ill in Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unlike questions pertaining to criminal conviction, when it comes to mental health, there is nothing to assure a respondent is being honest because Oklahoma law prohibits mental health professionals from sending mental health records to the database.

This is my beef with the article right here. One can really apply that to every question on it the form. These articles NEVER point out that lying on the form is a Federal offense. They also never point out that those who are caught lying just walk scot free never to be arrested for it either.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am an editor for NewsOK and we disable comments on local crime stories. The way our workflow works is any story tagged "crime" automatically has comments disabled when it's published to the site. Since some crime stories aren't technically crime stories (like the one we're discussing here, in contrast to a murder story or some such), an editor has to go in and enable comments in the system.

Which I just did. Feel free to comment now.

Also, if you wish to point out anything you feel to be factually wrong in the article, contact Juliana Keeping (the reporter) at [email protected]. You can find more contact information here: http://newsok.com/home/nic

Way to step up. . .many thanks!

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am an editor for NewsOK and we disable comments on local crime stories. The way our workflow works is any story tagged "crime" automatically has comments disabled when it's published to the site. Since some crime stories aren't technically crime stories (like the one we're discussing here, in contrast to a murder story or some such), an editor has to go in and enable comments in the system.

Which I just did. Feel free to comment now.

Also, if you wish to point out anything you feel to be factually wrong in the article, contact Juliana Keeping (the reporter) at [email protected]. You can find more contact information here: http://newsok.com/home/nic

1) Nice name. I assume you have great taste in music :)

2) How long have you worked at OPUBCO? I worked there about 5 years ago and I was the Interactive Art Director / Design Manager who worked with Sco___ Hor___ on the newsok redesign before moving on to the labs team that created such jewels like Wimgo, LOL. Are you under Alan H_____ ?

Anyways, I always find it amusing that the liberals in OK find NewsOK / Oklahoman to be a giant Conservative mouthpiece that's tied to a huge Tea Party / Conservative conspiracy, yet you come here and people constantly bash NewsOK / Oklahoman as your typical liberal rag promoting a liberal agenda. Makes me LOL all the time.

skatalite

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1) Nice name. I assume you have great taste in music :)

2) How long have you worked at OPUBCO? I worked there about 5 years ago and I was the Interactive Art Director / Design Manager who worked with Sco___ Hor___ on the newsok redesign before moving on to the labs team that created such jewels like Wimgo, LOL. Are you under Alan H_____ ?

Anyways, I always find it amusing that the liberals in OK find NewsOK / Oklahoman to be a giant Conservative mouthpiece that's tied to a huge Tea Party / Conservative conspiracy, yet you come here and people constantly bash NewsOK / Oklahoman as your typical liberal rag promoting a liberal agenda. Makes me LOL all the time.

I think you're the first person on OSA to know what my username references, so kudos.

And yep, I work under Alan. I've been with OPUBCO since May 2008, so around the time I guess you exited from the NewsOK side. I recently moved into a new position that allows me to work closely with the developers and programmers, so it's funny to run into you here. I don't think you and I ever met, however.

I think people of OSA would be surprised how many people at OPUBCO are fans of the 2A, and who carry concealed.

With regard to bias and such, I sit next to Juliana (the reporter mentioned in this thread) and she's a nice person who does her work with conviction. In conversations with her, I don't feel she's bias when it comes to guns. I know her experience with them are limited, and maybe even non-existent. I remember her asking me questions about this story to make sure she had certain terms right before she finished it, but obviously she didn't pick my brain on the subject matter because, well, I'm not a source for the story.

In any case, I think some of the things brought up in this thread are valid points, and worthy of consideration and discussion by the reporter and her editors. It's why I suggested emailing her, or leaving a comment on the story. I'd prefer such communication to be civil, of course, because she didn't go into this story with an agenda. I'd have spoken up if she did, long before the story even had a chance to be written.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you're the first person on OSA to know what my username references, so kudos.

And yep, I work under Alan. I've been with OPUBCO since May 2008, so around the time I guess you exited from the NewsOK side. I recently moved into a new position that allows me to work closely with the developers and programmers, so it's funny to run into you here. I don't think you and I ever met, however.

I think people of OSA would be surprised how many people at OPUBCO are fans of the 2A, and who carry concealed.

With regard to bias and such, I sit next to Juliana (the reporter mentioned in this thread) and she's a nice person who does her work with conviction. In conversations with her, I don't feel she's bias when it comes to guns. I know her experience with them are limited, and maybe even non-existent. I remember her asking me questions about this story to make sure she had certain terms right before she finished it, but obviously she didn't pick my brain on the subject matter because, well, I'm not a source for the story.

In any case, I think some of the things brought up in this thread are valid points, and worthy of consideration and discussion by the reporter and her editors. It's why I suggested emailing her, or leaving a comment on the story. I'd prefer such communication to be civil, of course, because she didn't go into this story with an agenda. I'd have spoken up if she did, long before the story even had a chance to be written.

A good friend of mine who used to live in Norman was the singer and guitar player for the ska band Special Disaster Team. He was part of my design / dev team at opubco. If you lived in Norman for a while (early 2000's) you should know who that is :) He's now a senior engineer at Apple and happily lives in the South Bay area.

What's sad is that OPUBCO was the envy of the town at one point. I had recruited some of the best talent in the region and they squandered it. About the only person I can think of that's still part of the design and development team is Billy M and James D. Wimgo was a large reason why most of us left. I'm still a bit bitter about that because of what they did to it. Wimgo was my creation and they absolutely turned that product into trash.

I often felt sorry for Christy when she was still the CEO. She genuinely believed in the preservation of the company and brought a lot of the changes into it's journalism practices to bring integrity back. The huge smoke and mirrors pony show that David and Chris would often do often hid a lot of things that were failing and sinking in the company, which was unfortunate.

skatalite

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good friend of mine who used to live in Norman was the singer and guitar player for the ska band Special Disaster Team. He was part of my design / dev team at opubco. If you lived in Norman for a while (early 2000's) you should know who that is :) He's now a senior engineer at Apple and happily lives in the South Bay area.

What's sad is that OPUBCO was the envy of the town at one point. I had recruited some of the best talent in the region and they squandered it. About the only person I can think of that's still part of the design and development team is Billy M and James D. Wimgo was a large reason why most of us left. I'm still a bit bitter about that because of what they did to it. Wimgo was my creation and they absolutely turned that product into trash.

I often felt sorry for Christy when she was still the CEO. She genuinely believed in the preservation of the company and brought a lot of the changes into it's journalism practices to bring integrity back. The huge smoke and mirrors pony show that David and Chris would often do often hid a lot of things that were failing and sinking in the company, which was unfortunate.

I absolutely know who you're talking about, haha. I've been friends with him since high school. I was in a Norman-based punk/ska band, too, so we played a lot of shows together. His wife and I went to high school together as well. I was at OPUBCO for a short while when he left to head west.

James D is one of the guys I've gotten to work closely with the past couple of months. I love that guy. He's a smart dude and super nice.

Sorry to hear about the Wimgo situation. I never knew (and still don't know) the whole 411 on that deal but I remember it just failing. I guess that goes in-line with what you were saying. As you know, Thompson left a short while ago, OPUBCO sold to Philip Anschutz and we're set for a move back to downtown by this time next year.

Lots of changes in the five years I've been there. I've seen a lot of great people leave for one reason or another, but there are still some great people working there. The youth are moving in, so I try to cultivate friendships with those coworkers as well as with some older "dinosaurs" to pick up some tips and tricks. You know, preparing for the future and all.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I absolutely know who you're talking about, haha. I've been friends with him since high school. I was in a Norman-based punk/ska band, too, so we played a lot of shows together. His wife and I went to high school together as well. I was at OPUBCO for a short while when he left to head west.

James D is one of the guys I've gotten to work closely with the past couple of months. I love that guy. He's a smart dude and super nice.

Sorry to hear about the Wimgo situation. I never knew (and still don't know) the whole 411 on that deal but I remember it just failing. I guess that goes in-line with what you were saying. As you know, Thompson left a short while ago, OPUBCO sold to Philip Anschutz and we're set for a move back to downtown by this time next year.

Lots of changes in the five years I've been there. I've seen a lot of great people leave for one reason or another, but there are still some great people working there. The youth are moving in, so I try to cultivate friendships with those coworkers as well as with some older "dinosaurs" to pick up some tips and tricks. You know, preparing for the future and all.

James is an awesome guy. Very humble and does great work. It seems like everyone I talk to that's still there are pretty excited about moving back to downtown. I think it's a good move and a good morale booster, especially with all the good things happening in downtown.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Daily Oklahoman was a good paper under the the previous ownership. Thanks, George Sorros.
Thank you and your liberal agenda.
Thanks for taking another page out of Mao's Little Red Book.

Latest posts

Top Bottom