Sweeeet results from my .300 Win Mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shooter00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the skinny on the latest reloading project. I wanted to get the rifles I shoot most all shooting tight groups with the same powder. So Hogdon Varget was the winner, shootable in my .223, .243 and .300 WM. I'm still tweaking on the .243 loads, but below is a 3 round group out of the 'dislocator'. :50cal:

Barnes TSX 168 gr
Varget 54.5 grs
New winchester case
CCI 250 Large Mag

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used a 300 for a while in Alaska. Never got to kill anything with it but did get reloading and range time with it. It is a massively under appreciated cartridge. If I were to have one rifle for all of north America it'd be the 300 win mag. A hunting buddy in Alaska shot a large black bear with a 180gr partition from a 300 win mag thru the ribs and out the shoulder. It turned everything above the diaphram to jelly, yet only blew a hole the size of a plum out the shoulder.

Shooter00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It turned everything above the diaphram to jelly, yet only blew a hole the size of a plum out the shoulder.

If you want some more jelly, try that TSX Barnes bullet. I run them in my .243 and what it did to the inards of last year's buck was muy impressive. Wound track was right under mid-spine, jellied everthing below it. The deer went horizontal in the air, and the guyser of blood and steam coming out went he hit the ground was something else.

:rubhands:

Shooter00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks dude! I got a .300 win mag Savage build in the works and I'll give this a shot.

Here's two more that tack drive for me:

H1000
Seirra 150 gr HPBT
CCI 250

IMR 4350
Seirra 150 SP
CCI 200

I'm sold on the TSX bullets, and I wanted everything I had burning Varget, so I have a few of the olds as back up. Love buying bulk!!

Here's the 150 SP load from the same day...

[Broken External Image]

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do the TSX bullets compare to the SMCs cost wise? What's the twist on your barrel? Judging from the lighter loads I'm guessing 1:12?

I'm thinking about 1:10 or 1:11...can't decide. Also depends on who I get my barrel from...

Shooter00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do the TSX bullets compare to the SMCs cost wise? What's the twist on your barrel? Judging from the lighter loads I'm guessing 1:12?

I'm thinking about 1:10 or 1:11...can't decide. Also depends on who I get my barrel from...

I ordered the last 50 from Midway, the were on sale for $32.99 or so...

I'm still running the stock barrel, Win 70 Classic, it's always been tight, so I figured I'd use it up before I looked for a new one. I believe it is a 1:12, I'm embarrassed to say I never checked twist. I bought it from a guy when I worked at a gun shop in CO about 10 years ago, unfired. He gave me a box of 150gr factory loads, it shot them well so I stayed right around that weight with my reloads. I've loaded 110gr Hornady V-Max with awesome results for a prarie dog hunt - a little pricey though.

I'll say I've had a break installed and the muzzle recrowned, along with some trigger work I did and McMillan stock that has made for the best shooting 'stock' rifle I've come across.

Latest posts

Top Bottom