Tabasco by the gallon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Basically Tobasco is distilled vinegar, red pepper, and salt. Quite a bit of salt actually as one serving has 35mg.
The big secret to tobasco, is that its aged in oak barrels for about three years I think.
Maybe my taste buds are burning out, but it doesn't seem like the store bought tobasco is as hot as it was, and the vinegar taste has increased.
I use white vinegar, peppers and salt, and puree them in a blender where its not thick, but slightly runny. Bring it to a low simmer, and let it cool off. Strain into a bottle, and stick in the back of the cabinet for a couple of years. Its hotter than fire, so your table serving may have to add some water or more vinegar.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few years back my wife and I took the tobasco tour...mentioned earlier in this thread.

On the tour, they stated that they grow ...don't know about fermenting and seasoning...tobasco peppers in Hondouras to keep up with production. By now, maybe else where. Dennis, this might be the reason for a different taste...maybe.

Cohiba

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tobasco still has the heat, but I swear it's not the stuff they made in my youth. They've jumped out there promoting their Mango-laced-zamthumgum preserved partially hydrogenated Habernaro sauce. It's just business. Lawd lawd I wish them well. I despair for the world I knew.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
O.K. I've gone over to the other side. Just dug up a piece of paper from WalMart. Frank's in bulk is ten cents an ounce. $6.38 for the big jug.
When I saw this stuff advertised I figgered it was bs yuppie stuff. Frank's is for real. The best Cayenne Sauce out there. Not as hot as the original Tobasco, but it has a superior pepper flavor. I buy the 12oz. Tobasco and Frank's by the gallon. Don't judge me too hard.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just discovered a bottle of Pecos Creek Mean Green that has Gum Acacia, xantham gum, Sorbic Acid, and lord only knows what might have washed in from up-stream. My niece sent it to me as a gift five years ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom