Tariffs: Saving American Jobs Since...Wait, What?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trump is trying to even the playing field and the left is throwing a hissy fit and contradicting themselves in the process. This pretty much happens on a daily basis now with a wide range of topics. I guess we could agree that they have the same philosophy on trade, but you're not going to get me to agree that Bernie would ever have the courage to do what Trump is doing right now. Again, couldn't even stand up to his own party.
It's not his party.
He's not a Democrat.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not his party.
He's not a Democrat.

He sought the Democratic Nomination in 2016... yes or no? I get it though, he "identified" as an independent......but wanted the DNC's money and votes.

Semantics aside, they did him dirty and he sat there and took it like Stormy.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He sought the Democratic Nomination in 2016... yes or no? I get it though, he "identified" as an independent......but wanted the DNC's money and votes.

Semantics aside, they did him dirty and he sat there and took it like Stormy.
I agree.
And the only thing he has to show for it is the Sanders/Trump trade policy.
Sad

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mexican bread, pasta and flour-tortilla makers are seeking alternative suppliers of wheat to reduce their dependence on the United States as trade relations between the two neighbors deteriorate.

Mexico, the top importer of U.S. wheat, is increasingly turning to cheaper supplies from Russia, which surpassed the United States as the top global wheat supplier in 2016.

Now the U.S. market share decline is accelerating as Mexico casts about for more alternative suppliers in Latin America and elsewhere to hedge against the risk that U.S. grains will get more expensive if the Mexican government imposes tariffs, according to interviews with three large Mexican millers, international grains traders, the top Mexican government agricultural trade official and government and industry data analyzed by Reuters,

“It’s important to send signals to Mr. Trump,” said Jose Luis Fuente, head of Canimolt, a Mexican trade group which represents 80 percent of Mexican millers. Mexico will keep buying American wheat because of its proximity, he said, but “we can’t continue to have this absolute dependence.”

The shifting supply deals are alarming for the U.S. industry, which has supplied the vast majority of Mexico’s wheat since the 1994 North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) took effect.

U.S. wheat exports to Mexico dropped 38 percent in value, to $285 million, in the first five months of 2018. U.S. wheat exports to all countries, valued at $2.2 billion, dropped 21 percent.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ecline-as-global-wheat-supplier-idUSKBN1KG1F0

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's amazing to me the folks on this forum that don't understand the difference in negotiations and giving up U.S. jobs.
When your countries like Korea, Japan, Germany etc impose tariffs on products produced in the US, to protect their jobs your OK with it.
But when President Trump tries to bring those jobs back to the US, you liberals are incensed and angry.
How do you explain that?
If tariffs are good for Germany, Japan, etc, why would they not be good for the US?
Oh wait. The EU has just fallen in line to buy more LNG to diversify their energy needs like President Trump blew up on at the G8 Summit and soybeans from the US with no tariffs.
Damn Trump for screwing up one more time according to CNN and MSNBC.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When your countries like Korea, Japan, Germany etc impose tariffs on products produced in the US, to protect their jobs your OK with it.
But when President Trump tries to bring those jobs back to the US, you liberals are incensed and angry.
There it is.

"If you disagree with me, 'your' countries are Korea, Japan, Germany, etc., and you're a liberal. No room for any other alternatives; not me = liberal."

Latest posts

Top Bottom