Tariffs: Saving American Jobs Since...Wait, What?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There it is.

"If you disagree with me, 'your' countries are Korea, Japan, Germany, etc., and you're a liberal. No room for any other alternatives; not me = liberal."
Those were used as examples. I guess your ok with building the economy of Japan, China, and the EU and using trade inequalities to promote their economies at the detriment of ours?
Can you explain how high tariffs are good for them, and not for us?

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those were used as examples. I guess your ok with building the economy of Japan, China, and the EU and using trade inequalities to promote their economies at the detriment of ours?
Can you explain how high tariffs are good for them, and not for us?
Can you show me where I said high tariffs are good for them? Or are you putting words in my mouth?

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ROFL. :D

I'm just supporting free trade... :drunk2:
Me too.

There are times when you need top-quality stuff, and expect to pay for it. There are times when you don't need it, and the price would be prohibitive. Free trade creates options for people where options wouldn't otherwise exist; tariffs foreclose those options.

If you weren't in the market for Snap-On in the first place, how could Harbor Freight cost them a sale at all? :anyone:

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might

You might want to look back in this same thread.
I have issues to take care of around 6am this morning, and need to hit the sack.
I don't see anything in there where I advocated for foreign countries' tariffs, just said that ours were costing us jobs in downstream industries. I believe that's true anywhere. Tariffs just pick winners and losers...and, as in my example with Mac above, the end consumer is almost always one of the losers.

Sleep well, and may your morning coffee be strong.

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a great book to read before engaging in any intelligent discussion regarding trade and tariffs. It's short, easy to follow, and based on sound economic principles, not political sound bites. The author is a small government, anti-Keynesian economist.

http://russroberts.info/books/the-choice/

I have no doubt that there is a "long game" aspect to Trump's recent trade war, and I'm willing to see that play out, but anyone who thinks the U.S. steel industry is "back" simply because of the short term increase in production and price brought about by artificial and unsustainable tariffs is ignorant and getting played. Real sustainable growth in U.S steel can/will only come from making better steel more efficiently than 'the other guy'.

Latest posts

Top Bottom