Taurus The Judge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

microsoftisevil

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. The Judge is not the best carry gun. It would be useful while in the woods to defend against snakes and such. Federal has a coulpe of shot shells made specifically for pistols. You might try them and see if they pattern better. I don't own a Judge, but have shot some of my friends.

Dad and I thought about that because we have seen them in the past, before ammo was such a pain to find. Recently I haven't seen much in the way of any 410 shells at all. The stuff we shot this weekend was some El Cheapo stuff he found at a pawn shop. I'll tell him to keep an eye out for some marked especially for pistols. I am wondering if maybe a 2.5" shells would group better. I'm sure those Federals for handguns aren't the 3" variety.

leadfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dad and I thought about that because we have seen them in the past, before ammo was such a pain to find. Recently I haven't seen much in the way of any 410 shells at all. The stuff we shot this weekend was some El Cheapo stuff he found at a pawn shop. I'll tell him to keep an eye out for some marked especially for pistols. I am wondering if maybe a 2.5" shells would group better. I'm sure those Federals for handguns aren't the 3" variety.

They are 2-3/4", and come in two different configurations. One is 3 balls of 0000 buck, and I am not sure about the other (maybe a #6). Anyway, I see it is available at Walmat now.

Rolando

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it is Federal that makes the .410 defense rounds for the judge. Cope Reynolds, that grumpy guy from NM that does "the shooting bench" podcast, he had a review of the Judge and the Federal ammo for self defense and he was not impressed at all. Heavy, low capacity, and the shot shells didn't perform well. I wonder about the name and if it was used in a self defense shoot. Could you imagine a prosecutor twisting the name around. "He thinks he's the judge and the executioner"

rjones81

New to the site!
Reaction score
Federal makes the special .410 shot just for the judge. I bought one a couple months ago for an 800 acre farm. I like the single/double action on it and mine has the built in safety on the hammer, which I am extremely happy with. Though it is a bit heavy to carry, I bought the blackhawk holster for it with the trigger lock and I love it. Take this gun most places with me. Shooting the LC.45, .410 6shot load, .410 buckshot(which is awesome). I normally have an assortment of all 3 in the revolver at all times. Have killed many turtles, snakes, armadillos and a beaver with it. We have coyotes and wild hogs out here that it will be good for if a close range situation arrives. The .410 buckshot is great for personal defense. Though I would like a .357 for longer range, I am very satisfied with the Judge

glock23

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mother-in-law bought one a few years ago.....had to send it back to Taurus to have the barrel re-attached (it had been over rotated when attached) so the front sight could be straightened. I am pretty sure they knew the barrel was not right at the factory, they just bent the front sight back over so "it was close"....very poor quality control, I am pretty sure her gun was built on a Friday afternoon........After sending it back to Taurus it was good 2 go. I would caution anyone to LOOK CLOSELY at the front sight and make sure it is straight up and down before leaving the store with it. One additional note, the guys at Outdoor America where my mother-in-law bought the gun were very little help in making the return, charged my mother-in-law $25 to return it for her, and then forgot about it and left it sitting on a shelf for over two weeks before sending it off. Last gun anyone in my family has ever bought there! SORRY, OFF THE SUBJECT....THE GUN IS FUN TO SHOOT! AND YES IT IS TOO BIG AND HEAVY FOR CONCEALED CARRY, BUT A GREAT FIELD GUN!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like mine, but probably not for defense using the .410 shells. I did a review complete with pics on another thread. It is fun to shoot, and I did take out a giant anaconda at the farm last weekend with a 3" #4 shot. Well, ok it wasn't an anaconda, but it sure looked like one when I almost stepped on it in the grass. I'm not totally impressed with the buckshot rounds either. I had penetration problems with them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom