Tell me about your 22 Winchester Rim Fire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was listening to a story about an old 22WRF and it got me thinking. Do not see much ammo for them and do not know when I ever saw one for sale. Heard they were great little guns but never took off. Not easily reloaded like the 22 Hornet.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just learned the other day that 22 Remington Special is the same thing as 22WRF. It was a precursor to 22 WMR (22 Mag). The .22 WMR case is a lengthened version of the 22 WRF. When smokeless powder improved and 22lr could match the velocity of 22 WRF, it pretty much killed the cartridge. I presume this is what predicated the creation of 22 WMR.

Last edited:

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand the 22WRF should only be used in a 22WRF and they were never so very popular. Not sure, I am being lazy and asking those smarter than myself!

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You mean one of these? No, don’t believe I’d say the 22WRF “never took off” and the ammunition is still manufactured by CCI. What else can I tell ya? It’s a great little round and can be fired in any 22WMR revolver. Same thing as shooting 38 Special in a 357 Mag.

IMG_5049.jpeg

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is 22RS interchangeable with 22WRF?

If you are asking about 22 Remington Special, then yes. They are literally the exact same cartridge under a different name. 22 WRF loads used a flat point bullet. Remington manufactured the cartridge, loaded it with a round nose bullet, and called it the . 22 Remington Special. The two are actually the same cartridge and are completely interchangeable.

Kind of like .380, 9mm short, 9x17, 9mm Browning, and 9mm Kurz. They are all different names for the same cartridge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom