Texas has required number of signatures 25,000

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Texas could easily handle themselves economically. The rest of the US would suffer with their leaving since they are a donor state.

www.makethemaccountable.com_misc_images_USMapGiversAndTakers.JPG

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is succession constitutional?

By definition, yes, of course it is. The Constitution allows for certain people to succeed the President if POTUS is ever incapacitated.

Now as the the matter at hand, which is sEcesion....that's a good question. Secession isn't covered in the Constitution, and as I recall, the SCOTUS decisions on the question hinged on the "perpetual union" wording in teh original Articles of Confederation.

freeranger

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thankyou. I was just wondering.

Did Texas do anything like what Virginia did?

As far as I know the Texas State constitution adopted in 1876 doesn't mention it. However, their state constitution does say "Texas is a free and independent state, subject only to the the Constitution of the United States. They are not subject to POTUS, Congress or the will of the other states. Neither the US Constitution and the Texas constitution allow or disallow secession. Since Texas and all the other states voluntarily joined the union, reason would say that states can leave voluntarily. Unfortunately, might makes right and a repeat of the last conflict could occur again.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With regards to comments about FEMA and border security, if you don't think the 5th largest economy in the world cant take care of that, you aren't fully realizing the option.

I agree with this. We are talking about a state that passed a law that made it socially acceptable/ legal to murder someone for stealing your neighbors TV.

I do not see them having a moral delima with killing a bunch of drug smugglers/cartel members and shipping them back as rejected agricultural waste.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
States currently petitioning to secede from the union: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas--good luck to idiots all across this great country!

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's also worth noting that Virginia and New York installed their secession options in their ratification of the Constitution. Oklahoma nor Texas had a say in ratifying the Constitution.

sixseven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am I wrong or can't anyone that registers on the site start a petition? I don't know it accurately reflects the will of the people and I think it's a dumb idea to begin with. It makes for interesting conversation though

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
However, their state constitution does say "Texas is a free and independent state, subject only to the the Constitution of the United States. They are not subject to POTUS, Congress or the will of the other states.

By being subject to the Constitution, aren't they also subject to the government created by that Constitution they just subjected themselves to?

Latest posts

Top Bottom