The 1911 "trap"...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The person who gave it to me never carried it, or shot it, and told me to do whatever I wanted with it. Changing it to personalize it some wouldn't bother him, he would think it was cool, and would see the practicality in it.

Well, these other guys have gave you some great tips on mods. Sounds like fun to me.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 1991 is a great base 1911 to modify. But I'm kinda of the opinion to keep it original as the gift was given. Mainly because the amount of mods you want to do are somewhat costly, yes G2G has some low budget options to get your list accomplished. I applaud him for the ideas. So, how about keeping it and ordering a custom 1911 the way you want it?

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You won't sell it because it is a gift but it is ok to make it different than the way it was given to you?

Would changing it tell the giver that it wasn't good enough for you?

So there is sentimental value from the gift giver.

Keep it and buy another one with the features you want. Or spend that money on ammo and shoot it a lot more.

This is absolute nonsense. Based on the situation I see no reason why he should have reservations with altering a 1911. Something like a 1913 Winchester Model 12 passed down by your great great grandfather is a different story, this appears to be different however.

Beau

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
stan chen mag suite is awesome. i love it. undercutting the trigger guard is something i love too because when you feel what its like next to one without, its really amazing home much better it will feel in your hand.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's more expensive to modify a 1911, than to buy one with all the bells and whistles from the factory.

I've enjoyed the process of tricking out several of my 1911's myself, and the enjoyment part made it worth it. With the list of modifications you listed (Done right. Avoid "Drop in" anything), plus a trigger job and refinishing, you're gonna drop well over a grand into it.

Suggest that you put pen to paper, add up the part costs and Gunsmith fees, then decide if its what you want.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well, I think I have decided what I want, after handling a few.

Beavertail, undercut, medium trigger, and then a re-finish. The optional things would be the magwell and sights, because the sights on it aren't bad and the ones I want are a lot of money. Kinda the same with the magwell, I would love a new one, but seems like that would be something I could add later myself.

So, without the magwell and sights, what kind of ballpark do you think I would be in?

Parts: Ed Brown Beavertail, $37 http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...y-groove-beavertail-grip-safety-prod1356.aspx
Cylinder and slide medium trigger, $27 http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...y-groove-beavertail-grip-safety-prod1356.aspx

So, only about $70 for parts, without sights. So it's just the labor to fit those two parts, plus the labor for the undercut, and then the refinish. Probably a Cerakote two tone finish.

Best guesses on cost?

With sights, I like the Novaks, and I would want plain black rear, fiber optic front. So, about $75, if i have Novak install them (dovetailing and milling the front and back) it's $115. Guess I will just have to see if a local gunsmith could do it cheaper.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mitch- The "1911 Trap" is an awesome term and it's got you by the leg, so just go ahead and consider getting the rest of the options you want. 1911 parts are the beginning. All will have to be hand fitted and the frame tangs ground down for the BT grip safety.

Get the sights you want now. I had Novaks install a set of LoMounts in a BHP this spring, and they went ahead and reblued the slide for no extra cost. Nice work. I've also sent a 1911 to EGW for Novak sights, trigger work and NP3 finish. Also very nice work. Novak sights have a great sight picture and just look "Right" on a modernized 1911.

If your barrel/bushing fit is sloppy, get a closer fitting one. Changing out the trigger? Get a trigger job, keep or lose the series 80 safety stuff. Hammer? While you're in there.... Checkering $$

Full length guide rod? Slightly extended mag release? Slide stop, thumb safety? It goes on and on. Multiple part fitting is more economical than seperate trips to the Gunsmith.

Time to buy a copy of Kuhnhausens 1911 book (Vol 1) from Amazon, contact Barry Greyson for Sage GS advice (He posts here) or Ol' Yeller.

Or- Teach yourself to DIY. Searching the Roderus Home Gunsmith forum helped me immeasurably, when learning to fit my own parts and hand checkering.

Latest posts

Top Bottom