The 223 looks like a baby!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1712613122650.png

It's a cute little baby, but it's definitely not the right choice to take out the deer wearing armor on the other side of the house behind a wall.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bullet so big I have neither the right RCBS puller collett for it, nor will it fit inside the kinetic hammer. DOH!
If you have a shell holder for that round or any round then find a solid piece of lumber 3" diameter or so.

Drill a hole as fat as the brass case and then a tiny bit larger .
Hole needs to be deep enough to fith the entire case into it and add 2" more depth.

Push a foam ear plug to the bottom of the hole.
Put case into shell holder and insert it into the hole you drilled.

The shell holder will hold the case from falling into the hole.

Now get a glove on and grab the lumber and hold the shell holder in place with a finger and hit the base of that lumber on the concrete floor or something else solid.
Do that enough times and the bullet will fall out of the case.

Bullet will hit the foam era plug and not get hurt and you can pour it and the powder out into a bowl.

I made mine from Cedar and it has worked many times.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like a 505 Gibbs. Little bitty shoulder and big ole head.
Super close --- that is a 416 Rigby.

@swampratt I did debate doing something similar, but I went ahead and spent the 15 on the collet that I needed to be extra careful with $1.50 each bullets. I really hate to take them apart but they came loose in a baggie and I don't know the origin if they are really factory or not, so I'm not going to take a chance. Same thing on the 500 A-Squares that I got. I know for a fact those are reloads, so I've gotta pull all of them.

Garden is going to be looking good this year with the hefty dose of powder its gonna get at least.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the looks of the crimp (or lack there of) I would gamble they aren't factory. Good call on the teardown.
They do look pretty in the meantime though!

True story though --- many years back I had a 220 Swift nearly blow up on me. I forget where I got it, but it came with some rounds that all looked good to me. In boxes and stuff, very uniform, all the same headstamp. So I went ahead and took em to the range. Well, for about two shots everything was fine. Until I popped one off that kinda popped back at me. Bolt stayed in the gun but I got a face full of gas and powder and such.

The primer pocket separated and left the case stuck in the chamber. That was fun to get out.

When I got home I took a much closer look at the rounds. While very consistent they were all apparently seated about 1mm too far out. Since the gun was a conversion the magazine box took them oversize. But what was happening is that the bullet was out far enough to jam in the lands, and I surmise that that gave me a huge pressure spike. Surprising really that I got two rounds in before bad stuff happened. I've been much much more careful about getting rounds ever since. I sure don't want to take a chance on a round that might have 100gr behind it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom