The Barn Find 1955 Bel Air

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Basically the same but we always used kerosene and atf and had good results.
Dad used a quart of kerosene in the engine oil to flush gunk just before an oil change. Dump it in a warm engine, start the engine and let it run for a few minutes, then shut it down and let it drain back into the pan, without ever tou thing the throttle. Idle only. Then drain an refill with fresh oil.

Worked well for dirty engine. His dad had a used car lot. Dad bought a lot of junkers over the years, and ran them to death, but did feed them good gas, and change the oil regularly.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very cool story. I grew up driving a 56 Chevy 2 door post in my teen age years. Started out with a 265 V8 very low power needing rebuild then end up putting and garage built 302 Chevy in it and it came alive. Good luck with it.
Ha, Mine was the same, two tone green, except I went to a 327 and added a mild Isky Cam, aluminum intake and 670 AFB with a wide ratio Muncie 4 speed, 3.70 positrac gear. Fun days in the late 60's. Tulsa 11th and Sheridan stoplight by the bakery, I have been 125 before shutting down on Friday and Saturday nights many times running against the hot shot factory socialites with their new stuff both directions from Boots Drive In. $25 ticket, if they could catch you. Ha Ha. Hell now you couldn't even do that at 4am on a week night because of traffic and without going straight to jail.

Great find you have there, thanks for sharing. And thanks to others for recalling the memories. I may have a relatively clean close to stock 56 4 door Bell Air 265 3 on the tree with OD to list here soon. Don't drive it much anymore like I should be doing.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
We’re looking for a trashed bare small block for a mock up. As long as it’s a side mount motor mount. The current set up is front mount. Changing to a side mount.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s a once in a lifetime find. It’s your car & you can paint it plaid if you want to, but it’s earned that patina. I’d keep a good coat of wax on it and enjoy it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom