Why did they put hideous carpet over amazing wood floors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a house built in 1967 several years ago and took up the carpet and it had Pergo flooring. I had it refinished and the guy said I had a fortune in flooring. It looked great and was easier to clean.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when we got married our house had coated concrete floors with area rugs. When the wife got pregnant she demanded wall to wall carpet with thick pad in case a kid fell off the bed or sofa. 2002

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We bought a house in 1978, from 82 year old woman. The entire house had beige carpet and bone white walls. EXCEPT for the main bathroom.

This bathroom had BLACK ceramic tile, bathtub, toilet and sink. The tile was 1/2 way up the wall. The top half had a white, flocked wallpaper, covered with CHROME lattice work.
The floor was carpeted in a HOT PINK and PURPLE, FAUX FUR.

The old lady said it was her whorehouse shitter.

We moved in and started to pull the "fur" up. There was a turquoise vinyl tile. I put the fur back down.

When we sold the house, the WHS was exactly the same.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I HATE wood floors. I was raised on them. Boards creaked and my mom had ears that could pick up a whisper from the other side of the house. It was impossible to sneak out of the house!
Finally learned which boards squeaked and how to avoid them to get out.
Fast forward to today, I still like carpet. Slab construction so any new flooring would be an over layment.
We live in the country with tile in the kitchen, entry's and bathrooms. Every speck of dust is highly visible and the wife goes into overdrive about where did that speck of dust come from????
Of course it's always from my shoes/boots as I'm always outside and coming back inside for basic reasons to eat and poop.
I refuse to leave my shoes at the door.
Solution: Rumba robot vacuum! Kick that bad boy on and it's amazing to watch it work getting around table legs, chairs and so on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom