"The Book Of Five Rings"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The translation I just finished of Miyamoto Musashi's original work is by Hidy Ochiai.

It is the best translation I have read primarily because of the analysis given by Hidy Ochiai.

For those not familiar with Musashi, he was a Samurai that lived from 1584 to 1645. He wrote The Book of Five Rings in 1643 or so it is thought by some. He is counted as one the greatest of the Samurai.

The Book of Five Rings was his understanding of strategy and while there is some focus on the use of the sword it is again a book on strategy.

I remember going to a book store in the '70's to get this book, I went to the sports section but couldn't find it. I thought I would probably have to order it so I went to the counter and ask if it could be ordered but was told they had the book and it was in the business section of the store. It seems the strategies in the book were being adopted in the business world.

Musashi uses the phrase, "study this well" quite a lot in his writings. This isn't just a book that can be read and immediately understood.

I won't say this is a book for everybody but for those willing to spend some time it is well worth it.

Not by Ochiai but I have this translation as well and found it acceptable.

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Five-Ri...3HN6SD2N0KH75&keywords=the+book+of+five+rings

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom