The dollar continues to collapse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I car hopped at A&W for .45 cents an hour plus the dollar or two in tips I got for the evening.
Later on working for Bekins Van Lines as a senior in HS in 1969 made $2.15, working 60-80 hours per week in the summer. I still have my time cards somewhere. My mom saved them.
Just found the time cards my mom saved. My hourly wage was less than I remembered. How many 16 year olds would work those hours today?
A lot of the boomers worked those same hours to get ahead and worked those during their entire work life.
I’d like to see a show of hands of succeeding generations on this forum that worked those hours. Come on, there has to be someone?

IMG_2947.jpeg

IMG_2946.jpeg

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just found the time cards my mom saved. My hourly wage was less than I remembered. How many 16 year olds would work those hours today?
A lot of the boomers worked those same hours to get ahead and worked those during their entire work life.
I’d like to see a show of hands of succeeding generations on this forum that worked those hours. Come on, there has to be someone?

View attachment 471334

View attachment 471337
Seems like a lot in taxes.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 471334

View attachment 471337
No Dennis, you’re the only one. Good job!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

View attachment 471334

View attachment 471337

20% taxes, seems low, but probably right.

When i got a raise from $1.60 to $1.65, my take home was LESS. Thank you JFK and the graduated tax scale.

We got married in '76. I was making $1.75 / hr. Got a raise to $2. Bring home was $119 / week. 6 months later, out of college, got a job in a Chem lab, making $5.36 / hr. Thought I had it made. Life was good. 4 months later, Peanut Head took office and just like Pedo Putz, it went to crap.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We should be discussing the buying power here. So the $20 you had in your pocket in the 80's, ain't the same $20 you have currently. Inflation is hidden tax and therefore your paper money buys you less stuff today. Hence the worth less...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
20% taxes, seems low, but probably right.

When i got a raise from $1.60 to $1.65, my take home was LESS. Thank you JFK and the graduated tax scale.

We got married in '76. I was making $1.75 / hr. Got a raise to $2. Bring home was $119 / week. 6 months later, out of college, got a job in a Chem lab, making $5.36 / hr. Thought I had it made. Life was good. 4 months later, Peanut Head took office and just like Pedo Putz, it went to crap.
Of course the taxes were less in 1968.
The point was that some who are unskilled (in high school) were willing to work extra hours to overcome the wage of that day. I got married right after that and got a raise to $2.80 or something similar. Thought I'd hit a gold mine.
More hours working meant more $$ in the back pocket.
I never lost that theory even when making WAY more than that as an hourly worker in a technology world.
My co-workers complained that I was getting more overtime and callouts that they were.
Guess what, I answered the phone on holidays and after hours, or days off. The supervisors making those calls knew who to call in an emergency.
Every dime of my overtime went into investments for most of my working career.
The folks that didn't ever answer their phones on those days were the ones complaining.
Fawk them.
Planning for retirement came early, and it paid off.
We have business that can't get people to work and when they do, they want to make a living wage on a 20 hour work week flipping burgers.
Fawk them and their lazy attitudes. I have no sympathy.
I'm sure others on this forum have followed the same path in life, and you know who you are.
The ones wanting big money for no work can KMA.

Latest posts

Top Bottom