The dollar continues to collapse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No Dennis, you’re the only one. Good job!
You seem to be a person in the workforce that takes care of their health and likes to shoot.
I'm sure you have followed the same plan in your life?
Has the gubberment supported you with income and housing during your work life to this point?
I take some of that back as you work for the government, so there may not be the opportunity to get overtime pay. I didn't as a GS-5 when working for them. It was a salary. Very low salary, so I changed professions.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This trend isn't about any appreciation in the value of gold or any other metal, it's about the decline in the value of the dollar.

You seem to be a person in the workforce that takes care of their health and likes to shoot.
I'm sure you have followed the same plan in your life?
Has the gubberment supported you with income and housing during your work life to this point?
I take some of that back as you work for the government, so there may not be the opportunity to get overtime pay. I didn't as a GS-5 when working for them. It was a salary. Very low salary, so I changed professions.
LOL, I do not work for the government. The company I work for has some government contracts.

My comment should have included an /S/. When I worked for the glass plant my hours looked very similar to your a lot of times.

I got smart eventually and realized that work is not life. I did what I had to do to feed my family.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of course the taxes were less in 1968.
The point was that some who are unskilled (in high school) were willing to work extra hours to overcome the wage of that day. I got married right after that and got a raise to $2.80 or something similar. Thought I'd hit a gold mine.
More hours working meant more $$ in the back pocket.
I never lost that theory even when making WAY more than that as an hourly worker in a technology world.
My co-workers complained that I was getting more overtime and callouts that they were.
Guess what, I answered the phone on holidays and after hours, or days off. The supervisors making those calls knew who to call in an emergency.
Every dime of my overtime went into investments for most of my working career.
The folks that didn't ever answer their phones on those days were the ones complaining.
Fawk them.
Planning for retirement came early, and it paid off.
We have business that can't get people to work and when they do, they want to make a living wage on a 20 hour work week flipping burgers.
Fawk them and their lazy attitudes. I have no sympathy.
I'm sure others on this forum have followed the same path in life, and you know who you are.
The ones wanting big money for no work can KMA.

Heard a lot of those "overtime hog" complaints. A supervisor responded with "answer your phone. I'm not wasting my time, I'm getting the job done."

A few finally woke up, on Labor Day weekend. There were 11 shifts needing special coverage. Nobody would cover any part of it. I kept telling them, "there is your overtime, you keep complaining, get you some."

Nothing was covered and boss was going to force coverage. I go in and tell him I will cover the entire weekend, explaining; a truck arrives every 4 hours, when truck comes in, call me, I am 15 minutes away. By the time the truck gets set to load, I will be here. It takes 20 minutes to load and do paperwork. He agreed to my covering the job.

What he or anyone else thought of; a "callout" was guaranteed 4 hours overtime (6 hours pay). On Sunday, overtime was double time (8 hours pay). Then Monday, holiday pay was 2 1/2 times (10 hours).
I would get a call, go in and be back home in an hour or less. 3 hours repeat, from 3pm Friday through 7 am Tuesday.

I turned in my time and heads started exploding. I reminded them, they had been offered the opportunity to cover the job, multiple times.

It made for a long week, but overtime was covered a lot quicker.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom