The EDC Flashlight Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
hard to believe an EDC flashlight thread on OSA ...

here's an old picture of exotic lights on my desk back from my Candlepower forum days. every light that you see was pretty much state of the art at the time. most costs $200-$500+ each. even the maglite which had an X-bin emitter called an MR-X. which was the world brighter's single LED light for quite sometime.

in no particular oder: Barbolight, Surefire M6, M4, U2. Li14430/Larry light, Arc 4, Mr. Bulk Lionheart, Arc LSHP, Arcmania KJ
img.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_ki20shootout.jpg

world's first Fenix flashlight in Stainless Steel. from original run, aprox 100 made...one of the very first high quality flashlight from China.
img.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_l1.jpg

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hard to believe an EDC flashlight thread on OSA ...

here's an old picture of exotic lights on my desk back from my Candlepower forum days. every light that you see was pretty much state of the art at the time. most costs $200-$500+ each. even the maglite which had an X-bin emitter called an MR-X. which was the world brighter's single LED light for quite sometime.

in no particular oder: Barbolight, Surefire M6, M4, U2. Li14430/Larry light, Arc 4, Mr. Bulk Lionheart, Arc LSHP, Arcmania KJ
img.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_ki20shootout.jpg

world's first Fenix flashlight in Stainless Steel. from original run, aprox 100 made...one of the very first high quality flashlight from China.
img.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_l1.jpg

Very nice man. I was hoping you would show off some goodies.
www.vpsingles.com_pics_respect.gif

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
here's my EDC in 2009 ...

McGizmo Ti AAA, Surefire Titan original run in Titanium, McGizmo Ti Pd. Custom Damascus folder with Titainium boosters by Poythress
img.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_edc20may09.jpg

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
even back when super nice lights sold for a premium ... ARC AAA was then world's best AAA LED light and sold brand new for $20 if I remember correctly. they sell new for $29 today. but title of world's best AAA has passed on.

now days with trickle down technologies ... especially after a HUGE jump in LED efficiencies. output in lumens doubled overnight and has gone up from there. used to be a Surefire flashlight like U2 ($360?) that put out 100 lumens was top of the heap.

now days it's not unusual to purchase a LED flashlight that puts out 500+ lumens for under $50 and be darn good quality.

the Stainless steel Fenix flashlight shown above is truly a historical light. it was world's first quality production flashlight from China. about 100 were made, so are extremely rare. it used a single AA battery and put out about 35 lumens from a 3watt Luxeon emitter.

before Fenix started making high quality LED flashlights. one always assumed if a flashlight was from China... JUNK.... fast forward to today ... that's so not true anymore with a flood of high quality lights from China at dirt cheap $$.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks to a post from Glock'em down i just picked up a Fenix E11 and am really liking this little light. Like an idiot first thing i did was turn it on and see just how bright it is. Now i want one with 500 or more lumens. A new addiction, oh well at least i will always have a light nearby. still like my little $3 rayovac pen light from wallyworld that i use daily. but the Fenix may retire that one to glovebox duty.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wear Carpenter jeans daily with the two small pockets on the right leg. I carry my Benchmade in the larger on the two pockets and a flashlight in the other. Most of the time it's a Jetbeam PC10 but I have a Zebralight SC30 I rotate in.

Now i want one with 500 or more lumens.
Look at the Klarus XT11. It's a good size for belt wear (comes with a holster), but a little big for inside the pocket carry. It's easily my most universal for it's size, battery life, user interface and power (it's 600 lumens). If you're looking for something closer to Maglite size, I highly recommend the Olight SR91 if you can afford it. It's what I'll take into my backyard at night. It will throw a half mile.

Latest posts

Top Bottom