the last time the dow was here

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you care to read up on it the Stock Market was going crazy (Very High) just before "The Great Depression" kicked in ....... Just sayin' ..... :anyone:

"The Roaring Twenties, the decade that led up to the Crash,[5] was a time of wealth and excess. Despite the dangers of speculation, many believed that the stock market would continue to rise indefinitely. The market had been on a nine-year run that saw the Dow Jones Industrial Average increase in value tenfold, peaking at 381.17 on September 3, 1929.[6] Shortly before the crash, economist Irving Fisher famously proclaimed, "Stock prices have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau."[7] The optimism and financial gains of the great bull market were shaken on September 18, 1929, when share prices on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) abruptly fell."

"In the days leading up to the crash, the market was severely unstable. Periods of selling and high volumes of trading were interspersed with brief periods of rising prices and recovery. Economist and author Jude Wanniski later correlated these swings with the prospects for passage of the Smoot–Hawley Tariff Act, which was then being debated in Congress.[8]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Street_Crash_of_1929

Last edited:

Belthos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finance guys...I'm considering moving my 401k out of equities and into a bond fund...good idea or bad?

I sold all my stocks and closed my 401k and decided to pay the penalties and get out.
I put the vast majority into real estate, single family homes I bought, repaired and rent.
If you have any credit card debts now is the time to pay them off and get out from under the interest.

I'm not giving you financial advice, rental properties have their own serious risks but at least I understand the market.
In my experience, I made a lot of money in the stock market but it was mostly from buying when everyone else was selling.
Then selling when pricing were either approaching the peak or just as it fell away from it.

I personally despise the stock market. If i want to ride any more roller coasters I'll go to an amusement park.

Latest posts

Top Bottom