Should all bicyclists be cited

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah. It was the only time I think I remember that I was tempted to draw on someone out of anger. The first incident was the old lady being dumb and looking right AND LEFT. The second, I was cruising down a state highway and this absolute crackhead moron dumbo decided to literally go from cruising 60 down the highway to jamming the breaks hooking over to the right side shoulder and immediately, without looking, hook a U turn directly across the highway. I had to make a split second decision and jammed it to the left (wrong decision) and had to go all the way to the far side of the left shoulder and missed the person by about 8 inches.

That was also about a month after my dad passed away. So I was not in mood and it took everything I had to not turn around and get myself on the news. Bike was sold about 3 weeks later.
Sold my cruiser after seeing a woman driving (?) down I-40 with a burger in her left hand and a cigarrete in her right hand, must of been driving with her knees. Seen enough stupid with people on their cell phones but that moment I said it's time to give it up.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well ,I know what you mean but... There are way more motorized vehicles on the road who need policing as well. I do not know who told ten wheelers, box trucks and delivery vans that laws are just a suggestion for them.
Constantly running lights, switching lanes with no warning and obstructing traffic in no parking zones ......... I get they have a job to do but it does not give you a pass for driving like no one else is there.
Actually, I drove for a freight delivery company once right after getting out of the Army.
Rocket Freight lines. There are rules that those services can do legally. Blocking a lane, blocking an alley, blocking traffic to back into a delivery zone and so on.
It wasn't suggestions, but what was legally allowed in that day. The ATA (American Trucking Association) negotiated with the state legislature for the truckers to do their jobs.
LEO's would just drive by and never give a side look.
A courteous driver would do everything to accommodate those around them. I'm sure there were exceptions. A few Karens as well that could not be satisfied.
Interesting side note, Rocket Freight lines was owned by our Governor David Hall that was convicted of bribery and other crimes, spending some time at a minimum-security prison in Arizona where golfing is year around.
As any trucker is aware of, the highway patrol will occasionally pull a semi over to do a safety check. Mechanical, log books, etc.
When I'd get pulled over, the trooper would walk up to the cab, look up at the name on the front of the trailer and walk back to their cruiser.
Shame because these trucks were in bad shape and needed some citations issued to fix things.
Fortunately for me, only spent 6 months at that job before moving on.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What does that mean?

Do you mean disobeying traffic laws?

Cyclist are governed by the same laws with some minor variances regarding stop signs and lights.

I'd like to see more enforcement on cars first, every single idiot I pass with their phone to their face should be heavily fined. Second offense and you lose your license for 6 months. Tulsa wouldn't have a traffic issue if people would actually drive when they are in the car.
Every LEO I see in their vehicle have a cell phone attached to their ear. Let's start there.
Every trucker I see has a hands-free head set or ear buds.
Car owners have phones attached to their left ear when entering an entry ramp to a highway when I'm towing a 15,000lb RV expecting me to move over when I have a vehicle on the side they can't see to block me from moving over. I'm a courteous driver, always moving over when possible, but I've put many of the on-ramp drivers into the shoulder because I can't move over when they look up and see that monster next to them.
Obviously, they didn't see the sign that is on every on ramp I've ever seen.

1716694959559.png

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every LEO I see in their vehicle have a cell phone attached to their ear. Let's start there.
Car owners have phones attached to their left ear when entering an entry ramp to a highway when I'm towing a 15,000lb RV expecting me to move over when I have a vehicle on the side they can't see to block me from moving over. I'm a courteous driver, always moving over when possible, but I've put many of the on-ramp drivers into the shoulder because I can't move over when they look up and see that monster next to them.

View attachment 481384

That sign is merely a suggestion, here in Ada its decoration only. Ada has the worlds worse drivers. I would rather drive in Dallas at rush hour then deal with drivers here.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understood it was about bicycles
Ironically enough, my niece and her husband took her younger sister to Silver Dollar City today. The younger niece told me that they passed a wreck between a motorcycle and bicyclist, and it looked like one of them just started taking a dirt nap.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 481384
People are mostly oblivious, I call it driving as a secondary activity, not the first thing they are focused on.

One of my Wife's friends got caught in Tulsa, $150 ticket for being on her phone, we both applaud TPD for doing it, just wish the fine would be higher. Her friend thinks she is being persecuted as "everyone else is doing it". SMH

The real irony is that I quit riding Motorcycles because of the terrible drivers(cycle and car), and now I ride a bicycle. I do my very best to stay off of the streets, mostly because everyone seems to have a deep hatred for cyclist.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they want to have the same right to use the road as other vehicles, they should be paying taxes, registration fees, tire taxes, etc. But yeah, they should be cited for violations.
Do you know a single person that only rides a bicycle?

What violations are you seeing cyclists commit on a regular basis?

Latest posts

Top Bottom