The Official Airgun Thread v1.0

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's going to look nice with the one I have from my childhood.
IMG_20210311_201051801.jpg

IMG_20210311_201119691.jpg

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will be selling 4 airguns for a friend that is house bound as soon as I get off my butt and get a few pictures. Two break barrel rifels and two pistols. Nothing special other than two of them are like new. Thinking of looking up retail and asking about 75 - 80% with no tax or shipping probably a really good deal?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
long time airgun nut here ..
if you are careful in setting up airgun .. trigger time will transfer

example: my Beeman R7 trigger set to 1lb 8oz, exactly like my .270 deer rifle at 1lb 8oz. Beeman R7 wears Leupold setup with same eye relief, etc.

R7 is very quiet, about 6ft lb energy. just enough to take out starlings. invasive species I've got no problems taking out.

normal drill is to pick a target .. a leaf or what ever. count one thousand one, one thousand two, pop

that's the timing I use to stalk deer with. when a shot presents, that deer may not sit still for long.

in that short two second sight window, you are training yourself to 100% identify target without scope, align your rifle off hand with scope and decide to release trigger.

if you do this exercise say 10k+ times. it's impossible not to improve!

I learned this tactic from a professional guide that took clients to Africa. purchased an high end air rifle from him.

Last edited:

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The best bang for the buck I know of in a 177 pump is the Winchester 1977xs. The old "77XS" model was just an upgraded Daisy 880, but this new model (released maybe late 2019, early 2020) is much more powerful than the 880 (both made by Daisy).

I did a quick one-shot 10-pump test on chrony w/ my 1977xs and it was 745FPS = 12.94 FPE w/ 10.5gr Crosman domes. That is crazy to think a 70 dollar chinese gun can out do all the PCP's in the UK LOL. This gun is a great deal! They carry it at Tractor Supply & Academy.

And just like the Daisy 880, I have found for infrequent shots where you want maximum power (hunting/testing only), you can pump it more. I've seen 810FPS w/ 10.5gr pellets using 15 pumps! This is a 15+FPE gun! w/out mods. I think I even went more and saw more but that is the only hard data I have (had to search because I did these tests in December). A 15FPE gun for under 100bux in 177 cal is pretty hard to beat, but budget is the main emphasis. Of course there are more powerful 177 rifles that you don't have to pump but they are less versatile and cost more. The scope that comes with the Winchester would work for a rat gun or a kid, but if you were going to use it much, you would want to get a new scope that cost potentially as much as the gun. The Crosman Centerpoint 3x9 or the Winchester 2x7 are good clear scopes for the money for an airgun or rimfire.

Last edited:

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The best bang for the buck I know of in a 177 pump is the Winchester 1977xs. The old "77XS" model was just an upgraded Daisy 880, but this new model (released maybe late 2019, early 2020) is much more powerful than the 880 (both made by Daisy).

I did a quick one-shot 10-pump test on chrony w/ my 1977xs and it was 745FPS = 12.94 FPE w/ 10.5gr Crosman domes. That is crazy to think a 70 dollar chinese gun can out do all the PCP's in the UK LOL. This gun is a great deal! They carry it at Tractor Supply & Academy.

And just like the Daisy 880, I have found for infrequent shots where you want maximum power (hunting/testing only), you can pump it more. I've seen 810FPS w/ 10.5gr pellets using 15 pumps! This is a 15+FPE gun! w/out mods. I think I even went more and saw more but that is the only hard data I have (had to search because I did these tests in December). A 15FPE gun for under 100bux in 177 cal is pretty hard to beat, but budget is the main emphasis. Of course there are more powerful 177 rifles that you don't have to pump but they are less versatile and cost more. The scope that comes with the Winchester would work for a rat gun or a kid, but if you were going to use it much, you would want to get a new scope that cost potentially as much as the gun. The Crosman Centerpoint 3x9 or the Winchester 2x7 are good clear scopes for the money for an airgun or rimfire.

it's a common misnomer to compare by how powerful an airgun.
Beeman R1 was the first to successfully market in America with claims of 1,000 fps. this was many decades ago.

have lost track for PCP, but 20ft lb energy from .177 PCP is not that unusual. most folks that shoot PCP are using larger pellets. by the time one factors in carbon tank and much $$ for PCP rifle. costs are not much different from firearms.

my .458 Outlaw hand made by Dennis Quakenbush is a PCP that puts out 500+ ft lb energy and have taken buffaloes. I'm shooting a projectile that's 405 grains cast for 45-70. fyi it took me several years of chasing down Quackenbush before I successfully nailed an Outlaw down. I ordered the deluxe version with beautiful wood. what I didn't know was Quackenbush matched finish grade of metal with finish grade of wood.

http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/
pic from Quakenbush
618f69_fc420f56c5b34a68bab2e8e5f06d0d53.webp

Last edited:

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well of course...quakenbush is in another league than what I was describing...so is Beeman & RWS...I just wanted folks to know the cheap pumpers of our childhood are now more powerful and therefore can potentially do more without the cost. Longevity, reliability, and even big bore...then you move into a whole new league...It cost more to do PCP than to use a real rifle...I just haven't been able to cross that line yet. I respect those that do...I just like seeing what I can do with cheaper stuff. If I reach a big bore need, I'd probably opt for a 12 gauge slug LOL...but it is cool people hunt larger game with air guns...just have to take a closer shot I guess.

Latest posts

Top Bottom