The perfect .22lr steel plink'n pistol?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentenza

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your priority is reliability buy a revolver. There's no one .22 handgun that excels at all the things you've listed. If your top two priorities are reliability and accuracy at 50 yards buy a revolver with a 6" barrel. If your priority is speed buy a semi-auto. Etc.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As mentioned by previous responders the Browning Buckmark and Ruger might be your best choices - both require work on the trigger. If you plan to use SV ammo then the best best would be a S&W41 or 46 - excellent trigger and easy takedown. I use a Walther GSP from my bullseye pistol days with 8 and 10 round mags purchased from Earl's Repair in Massachusetts - superb trigger and relaibility with SV ammo.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies and information! He ended up going with a buckmark. He found a good deal on one traded in at Medlocks. Ill post a range report after he's put it through the paces.

kuykendallc

Marksman
Reaction score
How are you guys getting your buckmarks to eat all ammo? The only thing mine runs "smoothly" is CCI standard velocity and it still FTFs on 2 or 3 rounds in a 10 round magazine. Am I doing something wrong?

Comte DeLoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Father (late 50s) is looking to purchase "the perfect .22 pistol". He's done the basic research but is looking for some first hand experiences.

Here's what he wants:

The main purpose of the pistol is to be able to shoot steel targets at 50 yards or less reliably and cheaply.

"Cheaply" reffers to the cost of ammo, the pistol must not be a "picky eater". It needs to be a near 100% gun "off the shelf". He doesn't want a new custom race gun.

Iron sights with the option to easily add a scope

It is possible the pistol might be used in steel challenge competition recreationaly.

Good crisp "off the shelf" trigger.

Upgraded barrel of some kind (bull,match,etc). It doesn't have to drive tacks but needs to be a better shot than my Father is :D

Again, I want to stress that it CAN NOT be picky about ammo, this gun must be able to shoot Remington "golden bullets" reliably.

So, does this pistol exist and if so, what specific model would it be?

Any of the Ruger .22's will do what you want and more. Add a majestic arms speed strip kit and its almost the perfect .22

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How are you guys getting your buckmarks to eat all ammo? The only thing mine runs "smoothly" is CCI standard velocity and it still FTFs on 2 or 3 rounds in a 10 round magazine. Am I doing something wrong?

Mine will fire anything but Remington. You might check all the allen head bolts in your pistol and make sure they are tight. If they arent it wiill have all sorts of problems. Make sure it is clean. They will still run dirty but give it a good clean and oil and see if that helps. You really shouldnt have that much reliability problems from a Buckmark.

Latest posts

Top Bottom