The Preppers were right all along - Washington Post

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have some pork that came from a friend who raised a couple pigs. He took them and had them processed and the butcher wrapped the items in freezer paper. It has been kept at 0 degrees. How long is this good for or when should I toss it. Between deer, elk, quail, pheasant, beef, fish, and this pig - and really just me and the wife now, it can be a challenge to eat it all in good time.
Don’t toss it! It’s safe to eat for years if kept at 0 deg. Preferably use it within a year, but it still great even 2 years later.

It depends how the butcher wrapped it. If he did only freezer paper it could get icy quicker. When I process my pigs I wrap the meat tightly in freezer grade cling wrap, then freezer paper. Stays frost free for a long time.

Our system for when the freezer is getting full of older meat is to thaw the oldest stuff and pressure can it! Then it’s shelf stable for another year or two! No need to toss it.

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have some pork that came from a friend who raised a couple pigs. He took them and had them processed and the butcher wrapped the items in freezer paper. It has been kept at 0 degrees. How long is this good for or when should I toss it. Between deer, elk, quail, pheasant, beef, fish, and this pig - and really just me and the wife now, it can be a challenge to eat it all in good time.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see the author is steadfast in his/her determination to be reliant on others when things go sideways -- and the odds are in my favor that they will. It's called life, kiddo, and there are bumps and humps to get around and over in between the fun, easy times. 🤷 Some people are just bound and determined to be dumbasses, I guess ... 🙄

I enjoy gardening -- so, by extension, I like to make sure what little I manage to grow doesn't go to waste. So ... I also dehydrate, can and freeze dry. I'm finding I MUCH prefer freeze-drying ... I'm excited to see how things go next spring around here -- this is the first time since my accident; it will be 2 1/2 years come this next spring -- that I actually feel like trying to do something other than sit around and ***** about my back hurting. I want to grow EVERYTHING!! Lol
I wanted to grow everything, but received good advice which I already knew but didn't follow. Grow what you enjoy eating and LOTS of it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Vacuum seal everything going into the freezer. Air is the enemy of preserving food even when frozen. We have had some frozen, sealed ground deer that is 2019 I found in the back of the upright today. We had burgers with it tonight.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trust me, there are plenty of people that would be thrilled to get any excess you chose to give them. If nothing else a lot of food banks will gladly accept it and if they will not, I will. 🤪

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yeah i have nothing against astronaut food but a lot of that stuff seems ridiculously overpriced and something tells me it doesn't taste very good.

imo buying and storing canned goods is just as viable as freeze dried.
Have you ever tried freeze-dried food? Lasts up to 25 years, with no added salt/sodium. No loss of vitamins or nutritional value. Canned good for 1-2 years, gets partially cooked in the process losing nutrition, added salt/sodium. It's not "astronaut food". I use it on a regular basis not just for camping or emergencies. One example price wise. Freeze-dried corn and canned corn compared by quantity is almost identical. Now freeze-dried Mountain House meals I like, but the pre-done meals do have a lot of extra sodium. The stuff I get (Thrive) is mostly just one ingredient like peas, corn, mushrooms, etc. and I then use the individual ingredients to use in whatever I'm making.

Latest posts

Top Bottom