The ultimate gun for hunting or backpacking in bear country. The G29 BUSH!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Badger!

Harley, Thanks for your interest! PM Sent.

Hey Rider, it'll work on Winnie, just make sure he carefully puts the jar down first, wouldn't want to spoil that precious honey! We've actually been considering making a G20 and/or G40 variant with a Match-Fit, extended/threaded, Bar-Sto barrel, (possible RMR) and are still working on a proprietary locking block that'll let us really lock that slide down to the frame and wring out every bit of accuracy possible in the platform.

Will keep an eye out for when/if ya get the G20 package!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Dennis, thanks for stopping by. First and foremost... "backcountry fishing in Alaska!" I'm jealous. and here's a slight comparison, for comparison's sake.

1. At a whopping 53oz unloaded, the 7.5" barreled Super Redhawk(their small one) weighs more than twice that of the G29 Gen4.
2. The same Pistol is almost (13" vs 6.88") twice as long as the G29.
3. At 15+1 on 703 ft/lbs(BB 220gr) the Bush possess more in-hand energy than the Redhawk(slightly), and WAYYY more energy than a 9mm, 40S&W, or 45ACP pistol, especially in it's size/weight class, which was the goal of it's conception.
4. Due to the more manageable recoil of the 10mm, follow up shots would be much faster and far more likely to land on target under pressure.

If we're being honest, the name "Bush" came about simply because at the last minute, we were forced by law to name it something other than G29. The "Outback" seemed inappropriate for it's intended customer, and naming it after the customer's department seemed limiting for future sales. In fact, the ability for the firearm to take down dangerous or wounded mammals and barrier penetration, was tertiary to conceal-ability and effectiveness in a gunfight.

In the end, to each his own. If I had to choose one to take to the range for a couple hours or show off to my buddies, it would definitely be the .44 Magnum without a doubt! And if I had to be shot by one or the other, I must admit the G29 would be my choice. But if I had to choose one to attempt to conceal, implement tactically, train with, carry in a hostile environment, carry for an extended period, buy ammo for, keep on target, defend my home, reload, reload wearing gloves in subzero temperatures, pitch and sell to USG, or reach for in the highly unlikely event that I heard a twig snap and turned around to see a charging mamma Grizzly, it would be the G29 Bush.

I think you have a good product going there, and to be factual, grizzly's have been killed with .45 acp an one with a 9mm.

It's all personal opinion about the effectiveness until one takes into consideration that a griz can outrun a horse and kill it instantly.
A poor shot with a lighter bullet is just that, and that might be the only shot you have. My .44 is magna ported so follow up shots in DA come quickly if needed with much heavier bullets and much more Kenetic energy per round.
Same reason others have posted that they are going with .308 now. Penetration is key, and the ability to break/crush bones with the additional energy is the reason I've chosen the .44 mag.
Your sharing the streams with the bears, Their primary food source in summer.
Two years ago with a guide he took us to a stream and got out a lawn chair and a 7mm mag rifle.
Told us if we heard a whistle, to move back to his location.
If we heard two whistles, run to his location.
Three whistles, drop to the ground as he was opening fire.
We never saw a bear fortunately.

I think your product will do well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Shadow, I googled it, but couldn't find it. you wouldn't happen to have a link to that comparison would you? Thanks.

Hey Rider, Thanks, I'll definitely let you guys know! May be the 20, may be the 40 MOS w/ an RMR, still haven't decided.

Hey Hargrove, thanks. And yeah, it's to be expected. Gun guys are a pretty picky and outspoken group. Like an old timer FFL told me when we were first getting our FFL, "Gun guys are the greatest customer's in the world. I came home happy every day, because I spent it talking to a bunch of gun guys. But I'll tell you one thing, they sure can be a pain in the butt when they wanna be!!!

Hey Dennis, Thank you very much, and that's interesting, must have been a very well placed 9mm round! And yeah, I've played with a magnaported 12ga and bet their service would make a heck of an improvement on that behemoth of a revolver you've got there. I may have to check on of those out someday. I'd always planned on adding a "Dirty Harry" to the collection, but may end up considering something a bit more modern???

Hey JD8, I assume you're referring to the blurb on one of the auction sites, but no. It's just a price comparison for if you wanted to get most everything on this gun done for you over at GlockStore. We sold a couple at $1,350, but have since dropped the price on the whole package (15 rd mag, 2 mag extensions & 3-in-1 Serpa holster) down to $1199 and they're selling much better. In truth, as much as it hurts to admit, I'm pretty sure this was a one time deal, and only civilians will be purchasing it from here on out.

For those interested in the reference:

• Yeah you can (kinda) build your own. Start with a Gen4 G29 from Gunbroker for about $550 plus shipping($35) to save yourself a few bucks. Take it to your local gunsmith and he might engrave “RESTRICTED” on the slide($125) then ship($30) it over to someplace legit, like Glockstore for most of the gear and some of the work($790 in cart as of 8/4/2017). Don’t forget whatever they charge to install parts and ship($40) it back to you. Order your shoulder harness from ebay($50) since GS doesn’t carry it. Then ship($30) it on over to APH for the trigger safety work, barrel work, slide rail work, proprietary internal frame plug, and test fire($150) before shipping($35) it back to you… You’ll pay $1,835, and though it’ll be a sweet and extremely reliable G29, it still won’t be the BUSH! Save yourself some time and cash and get it here. Auction starts at the L.E. rate; buy now price is our “walk-in” rate and still a heck of a lot cheaper than a D.I.Y!

Last edited:

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it's important to realize that many people searching for an ideal sidearm in these conditions can't reasonably carry a larger gun. When hunting, fishing, hiking, backpacking, working, etc. these people are often splitting their preferences for what they can physically carry down to mere ounces, or space (any space) on their person for it. In some cases, a larger gun means carrying less water, less food, less tools, etc. which isn't an option. In other cases, it's either a small gun or no gun at all; and in these cases the G29 provides a very attractive package to someone that needs a gun on them at all times. That begin said, I think for those people that aren't scraping to save weight/space, the G20 would sell well to them. Here's the 9mm story: https://www.americanhunter.org/arti...ishermen-from-raging-grizzly-with-9mm-pistol/. I'd much rather have the G29 than his 3953 in that country.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
26.83 oz for G29 unloaded.
30 oz for an unloaded G20.
The OP suggested a 15 round mag for the G29, making the ammo weight the same.

So, 3+ oz difference

Latest posts

Top Bottom