So I Did a Car Thing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not a car guy by any stretch of the imagination, but my wife and I just changed the Ignition Coils on my daughters car. It had been rough idling while braking and the check engine light had come on, so I hooked up an ODB2 reader to it and figure out a cylinder was intermittently missing. It recommended changing the ignition coils, so off to youtube I went to see how hard it was. Turns out it's even easier to do than change a spark plug (you pull the coils out to do that), so I ordered some from Amazon. I priced them locally, but they were about $80 to $90 a piece at autozone and $70 for four on Amazon. Luckily my wife could break the bolts free, to remove them, as my arthritis makes that hard for me. I had bought a 10mm drill socket adapter, just in case, but didn't need it. So yay for saving a few hundred bucks, having a repair shop do it. We found out by reading some posts online, that using Eco driving mode can cause Hyundai Elantras to develop bad coils, so we made sure my daughter understood not to use that mode anymore.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hyundai runs too large of a spark plug gap and it kills the coils.

Great on you and your wife for the research and hands on.
Lots of glowing pride after you fix your own vehicle.

.035" is a good gap believe it or not.
Look up plug gap and Hyundai and coil failure.

Not just Hyundai as some other vehicles get the same wide gap.
Wide used to be the in thing to do but many vehicles today run .025" or tighter and work excellent.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amazon and fleabay are bad about counterfeit stuff (especially electronics) so if the problem pops back up, don't think ya'll did anything wrong just try a trusted parts source. I have not had a bad experience with rockauto.com except for their deceptive shipping policies (different warehouses each have shipping charge) so just keep eye on shipping before confirming order.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just took our Hyundai Tuscan to the dealership in in Stillwater today on a trailer.
We got a notice of a class action lawsuit about 5 months ago.
Apparently the company built a zillion short blocks and never cleaned the machining debris from them.
Engine’s failing everywhere.
Hopefully the suit is going to be honored as our vehicle just put up the code for an engine knock and used 1.5 quarts of oil since the last oil change

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gotta be careful on Rock Auto, some of their parts are incorrect, and you don't get a full refund even though they "sold you the wrong part" and claimed it was correct.
A year or so ago I purchased I purchased Wagner Thermoquiet brake pads for my wife's Subaru Outback from Rock Auto. I have used Thermoquiet brake pads on vehicles for years and had great luck with them. These, purchased from Rock Auto were terrible. They produced enormous amounts of brake dust in just a day or two.

I switched them out to Bendix brake pads and the brake dust issue disappeared.

I don't know if Wagner sells Rock Auto an inferior product to meet price points, or if Wagner has cheapened the Thermoquiet product line. I will not be using Thermoquiet brake pads in the future!

Rock Auto has increased their shipping rates in a big way, but usually still cheaper than Auto Zone, etc.

Rock Auto, does not like returns and does not refund shipping cost.

Statement on Rock Auto website:

..the part I received looks like it was made by a different brand or company!
Sometimes manufacturers buy parts from other manufacturers and re-sell them as their own. In doing so, they declare the quality of the part worthy of their name and stand behind the product with their warranty. Finding a Brand Y part in a Brand X box can be a nice surprise when Y is the vehicle manufacturer (OEM) or another respected brand. It can be frustrating when Y, sold under its own brand, costs less than X.

We have no control over manufacturer supply chains. When we buy a part from Brand X, we pay X's price for it, and your price is based on our cost.

Latest posts

Top Bottom