They're getting pretty brazen...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.newson6.com/story/15100659/bomb-threat-during-robbery-empties-tulsa-credit-union

Bomb Threat During Robbery Empties Tulsa Credit Union

Posted: Jul 18, 2011 12:52 PM CDT Updated: Jul 18, 2011 12:54 PM CDT

NewsOn6.com
TULSA, Oklahoma -- A bank robber used the threat of a bomb to hold up a Tulsa Federal Credit Union branch Monday morning.
Just after 11 a.m. Tulsa Police say a lone male entered the branch at 9323 East 21st Street carrying a brief case.
The man set the brief case on the counter and handed the teller a note saying there was a bomb inside the brief case.
After getting the money, the man ran outside leaving the brief case behind.
Tulsa Police evacuated the credit union and called the bomb squad.
The bomb squad took the brief case outside and determined it was empty.
No one was hurt in the robbery and police say they did not have a direction of travel after the man left the bank.
Anyone with information about the robbery is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 918-596-COPS.
Wonder what the robber would've done if the teller had called his bluff?

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any mention of how much money he got?

I like how it said "the bomb squad determined the briefcase was empty". They make it sound like they didn't even open it, more like "Does this feel empty to you?"

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who robs banks with bombs? I mean can't anyone just do a good old stick em up anymore?

Robbers are getting lazier by the minute. Pretty soon we won't have to worry about them because they'll drown in their own drool laying around in bed.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who robs banks with bombs? I mean can't anyone just do a good old stick em up anymore?

Robbers are getting lazier by the minute. Pretty soon we won't have to worry about them because they'll drown in their own drool laying around in bed.

It's likely a strategy, if you say you have a bomb in a briefcase it immediately distracts the teller because they're focused only on the case. Then when you leave, the teller says "it's a bomb!" & then everyone is focused on the case - nobody follows you out to get a tag # or a description of your vehicle, they may not even watch you leave because they are all scared and looking at the case.

Also curious, are the consequences less severe with an implied weapon as opposed to an actual weapon?
i.e. pointing a gun at a teller vs keeping one hand in your pocket to give the impression that you have a gun. I have heard that might be true, but not from anyone that would actually know. That may have been a part of the robbers plan too.

What you actually posses is irrelevant these days anyway. When I was robbed at a bank it was done with only a note that said "put the money in the bag" & it specified denominations, there wasn't even a threat on it. But the money is all insured & people aren't replaceable so the bank ALWAYS wants you to give up the money. When it is observed, cash drawer management ensures that robbers leave with pretty insignificant amounts anyway & they will nearly always leave with bait money too, if the teller was trained in how to respond.

Latest posts

Top Bottom