This lawsuit against a gun shop sets a dangerous precedent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Catch22 for the gunshop. And YG, as a society we need to understand that bad **** happens in life. We can throw away all of our personal liberties in a futile attempt to prevent any wrongs being done, but the end result is we just have no freedom.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the sop is is big trouble, they were told that the daughter has deficit and they sold the gun regardless. They should have denied the daughter the gun and she'd probably gone elsewhere and bought one but regardless, this is a big one!

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sticky situation indeed. Too many variables both known and unknown in this story. IF the family had done this... IF the authorities had done this.... IF the courts had been involved and done this... Have seen similar situations unfold several times with and without family involvement. Problem is that it is so damn difficult to get some jurisdictions to take a proactive part in mental health cases it crates a no win situation much like the one in this story.

Really hard to be proactive when dealing with mental health issues. One of the reasons (and mostly for good cause) is because of patient confidentiality rights.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think you can fault the gun shop here. I hope that they prevail and are made whole.

But you can blame the ffl. They were given notice that the subject was unsteady and potentially dangerous. It was up to them to take heed of the warning that they received. Hence due diligence on their part upon receiving a warning via pbone.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If a warning had been given and or headed in 2001, my aunt Deanna Dorsey may not have been unnecessarily murdered in Vinita OKlahoma. Just saying. I am all for my and your constitutional rights, however (with the risk of sounding get like a democrat) some basic (not "common sense") rules may apply.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If a warning had been given and or headed in 2001, my aunt Deanna Dorsey may not have been unnecessarily murdered in Vinita OKlahoma. Just saying. I am all for my and your constitutional rights, however (with the risk of sounding get like a democrat) some basic (not "common sense") rules may apply.

I'm sorry for your loss. Murder is from the heart, not the gun. If a person wishes to kill, they'll find a way. The gun shop did not know the caller from Adam, they had no right nor ability to adhere to that request. If the caller was so worried about the female, then why didn't she phone the police with the perceived threat in order to get them to intervene? MY constitutional rights don't end when you say they do. There shouldn't even BE FFL's!
Darn certain if there weren't rock dealers my cousin Able would still be kicking it in the garden.

Last edited:

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss. Murder is from the heart, not the gun. If a person wishes to kill, they'll find a way. The gun shop did not know the caller from Adam, the had no right nor ability to adhere to that request. If the caller was so worried about the female, then why didn't she phone the police with the perceived threat in order to get them to intervene? MY constitutional rights don't end when you say they do. There shouldn't even BE FFL's!
Darn certain if there weren't rock dealers my cousin Able would still be kicking it in the garden.

I myself am torn by this situation. I feel so deeply for our Constitutional rights that nothing should infringe upon them, however a simple "heads up" can save lives is crazy to me. If I had to choose one or the other... 16 years later I still love and miss my aunt, however my constitutional rights are what allowed this country to become what it is today. God bless America. Deanna Dorset you are a casualty of the greater good. God Bless America.

ShaunyP26

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think the gun shop is liable on any level and shouldn't ever be. What was the context? Was she angry and just did it spur of the moment or was it premeditated? I think if it was spur of the moment anger then these are the types of situations where a waiting period might have actually worked, as it's meant to diminish the rush of initial anger or whatever.

The mental health issue, combined with monitoring and reporting on your fellow citizens is a Pandora's box that isn't worth opening in my opinion. Even then with all the treatment and resources in the world it might not make a difference, plus it could stigmatize people and be used against you later. Better to keep it simple.

Latest posts

Top Bottom