Three Rivers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone rifle hunt Three Rivers/Honobia WMA with any success? I am again (for the 3rd year running), going to try my hand out getting out deer hunting. Last year was the first year I really got to try, and never saw a thing, it was rather discouraging. From looking at the maps, Three Rivers/Honobia looks like the best bet for public lands? If not, anyone have a better suggestion for a novice hunter?

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Used to hunt there for years and years. Best advice I can give is to do some scouting via map or satellite. Stay in the hardwood bottoms, especially now while the acorns are falling. Those places are fairly difficult to hunt, just because there are so many dadgum trees. I had some good spots down on the Glover that I always saw action, but it took me many hours before I ever had much success down there. It can really be a frustrating place to hunt.

pro2ndammendment

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've hunted Honobia and Three Rivers for the past 3 years. It is a fun trip and there are big deer down there. Like most have said, you don't just go down there and hunt. It is big, thick in places, and scouting is very helpful. I would echo what others have said in this thread and others threads on the area. I actually just went down there to scout two weeks ago. What I have been told from locals and other hunters is to find a likely spot (river bottoms, hardwoods, clear cut) and sit still! Especially on opening weekend. I've never shot a deer out of this area. My deer last year came from the Thomas area, but I will be back for the trip this year!

9mmTeacher

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a great area, of course I'm biased because I'm a local. Basically, the harder it is to get to the better. The areas have shrunk so much in the past few years as Weyco leases off more and more. That has caused a lot more encroachment on traditional hunting areas. Bring a backpack with essentials and hump it into the hardwoods away from the roads, if you see someone in there, hoop, it's probably me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will pour over the maps and try and pick a place, too busy with school and work to make it down there to scout (I know, bad form). I've heard some reports of heavy meth activity in those areas, any truth to that? My hope is a friend of mine will be going with me, but he's still waffling, so it may be a solo trip, assuming the reports I've heard are exaggerated. I am anxious to at least see my first deer during the season, lol.

*Edit*I just read over the regulations for Zone 10 where Three Rivers/Hanobia is, I'm a bit concerned about the limited antlerless days. I want to hunt for meat, I don't care about points or anything. Is the fact that most days are antler only likely to be a big hinderance? Does anyone know an area in zones 2, 7, or 8 that is better for hunting that they wouldn't mind sharing?

Last edited:

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got back from two weeks @ Honobia. That's my home area. Probably the best plan with all the clearcuts is to set up in a hardwood draw coming off a mountain. They will have acorns and water. Also newer clearcuts are a good place to sit on a high spot early & late. If you hear dogs running just stay still in a place with a good field of view and you might be able to cut off the race. It's usually does & yearlings because the mature bucks either line out and head uphill @ full speed or slip out of the race back toward where it started.

Honobia Creek Store is a great place to eat, but they don't have gas. Both stores @ Nashoba have closed, so the nearest gas west of Octavia off Hwy 259 on 144 is Clayton.

Good Luck!

Cedar Creek

Jeremy1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LMBO at CHenry... LOL

Seriously though, everyone is giving you straight information. A lady at a camp 500 yards from us took a nice 10 pointer in a clear cut that can be seen from Cloudy Rd. near one of the main entrances to Honobia Creek on opening morning. Everyone I have ever ran into down there is very nice. They won't walk you to a spot, but will give you some advice if you ask and share a beer or a whiskey with them. I've never had a bad experience down there. Now, that doesn't mean that I don't keep Colonel Colt's Equalizer with me at all times. It is Sasquatch country you know? LOL

Best advice I can give has been given. If you are in reasonably good shape and have a pack, load it out and do some walking. Find a likely spot near a draw with some hardwoods and sit still. If you are going to hunt some of the larger clear cuts, a decent set of binoculars and some shooting sticks won't hurt. Last year it was cold as a witch's tit so watch the weather and bring appropriate equipment.

Maybe I'll see some of you there this year!

Latest posts

Top Bottom