Tire launches man into low earth orbit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hated to fix flats on the semi's and other truck split rims when I was in high school. Worked at a gas station that was the only one in town that would fix them. We didn't have a cage back then. We used to put them under the arms of the car lift. Luckily never had one blow.

This reminds of a time a buddy was hanging out at the station with me and a semi came in with a flat on the cattle trailer. My buddy said I'll give you a hand, grabbed the cheater bar for the lug wrench and proceeded to help when one of the cows decided to relieve herself and pissed squarely on the top of his head and me getting hit pretty good too. Well we finished the job and then the owner told me I could leave for the day so we went to a local swimming hole and jumped in, clothes and all.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That reminds me of a story in the back of Backyard Ballistics about an American underground nuke test back in the early '50s. They had a huge (on the order of tons, IIRC) steel plug covering the top of the hole and a high-speed camera watching it. After the test, they couldn't find the plug, so they checked the high-speed footage and discovered that it was in place in one frame and completely gone in the next. Based on the frame rate of the film and the camera's field of view, they calculated that it must've been moving in excess of escape velocity to be completely out of view in one frame--in short, the explosion launched it into outer space, making it the first man-made object to leave the Earth.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
That reminds me of a story in the back of Backyard Ballistics about an American underground nuke test back in the early '50s. They had a huge (on the order of tons, IIRC) steel plug covering the top of the hole and a high-speed camera watching it. After the test, they couldn't find the plug, so they checked the high-speed footage and discovered that it was in place in one frame and completely gone in the next. Based on the frame rate of the film and the camera's field of view, they calculated that it must've been moving in excess of escape velocity to be completely out of view in one frame--in short, the explosion launched it into outer space, making it the first man-made object to leave the Earth.
So it beat Sputnik in 1957 but we couldn't claim it because it was a secret test?
I found a website that talks about it but it wants my ad blocker off and that ain't gonna happen.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a guy at a local tire shop get cut in half with one of the rings from a 2 piece rim back in the early 80's before the cages was required at all tire shops.
We had a guy and his 8 year old son lose their lives in Newkirk when putting a split rim back together and inflating it.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So it beat Sputnik in 1957 but we couldn't claim it because it was a secret test?
I found a website that talks about it but it wants my ad blocker off and that ain't gonna happen.
I don't think it's particularly comparable to Sputnik, as it was a dumb projectile, and, having exceeded escape velocity, it wouldn't have gone into orbit, at least not around the Earth.

Heck, some little green man probably thinks that those danged ol' Earthling rednecks took a potshot at him...

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom