Tolls are for chumps!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Tolls Are for Chumps!​

The switch to cashless toll roads has led to rising losses from fare evasion, forcing those who play by the rules to subsidize scofflaws.

Among the many trends the pandemic accelerated, one of the least noted has been the increase in so-called cashless toll roads—highways where electronic fee-collection systems have replaced human toll collectors. Now, as traffic returns to pre-pandemic levels, another trend is plaguing these new systems: fare evasion. Around the country, turnpike authorities and bridge and tunnel operators are logging hundreds of millions of dollars in losses as scofflaws find increasingly inventive ways to outfox the systems. Though advocates say that the losses represent a small portion of total revenues, some officials are contemplating raising tolls to account for the shortfalls—in the process costing those who play by the rules more. While drivers love the convenience of breezing along on a highway without toll booths, it’s becoming clear that many highway authorities didn’t have a good plan or the right technology in place to go completely toll-less.

A recent report by the New York State Comptroller’s Office sums up the problem. Since switching to a toll-less collection process in late 2020, the New York State Thruway Authority has racked up $276.3 million in unpaid tolls. The nature of these systems helps explain that staggering number. In the early 1990s, New York began installing sensors to allow drivers with a transponder to pay tolls electronically, but not everyone has joined the system. To dun those without these devices, New York has installed overhead cameras to record the licenses plates of other drivers, who then get billed by mail. The nearly 200 other highways, bridges, and tunnels that have gone cashless around the country generally use the same method. The system has gaps, though. Out-of-state drivers, for instance, are often beyond the reach of these systems and simply ignore the bills they receive. More worrisome is the fact that, as cashless tolling has spread, so has the use of fake licenses plates or plate holders that block cameras from recording the license number. So common are these plate holders that New York City asked Amazon to stop selling them.

Pennsylvania accelerated its plans to go cashless on major toll roads during the pandemic, laying off 500 unionized toll collectors. In its first two years of cashless roads, the state lost more than $250 million to fare beating and inefficient collection systems. In Rhode Island, where some bridges have gone cash-free, a single bridge spanning Narragansett Bay loses some $250,000 a year to toll evaders, according to recent press reports. Alarmingly, many thruway and tunnel authorities don’t have a good handle on just how much they are losing to fraud. And while advocates claimed that cashless roads would be cheaper to run than a manned system with toll collectors, the savings haven’t materialized in some places.

More at:
https://www.city-journal.org/article/tolls-are-for-chumps

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
0922450f7b10ae44d4b02ce72e1542056a2d1e6bdbf502b70a154da5a6c43da1_1.jpg

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I avoid toll roads unless I have no other choice. Wife does insist on using the Turnpike any time we go to Tulsa but I have not been on another in over 30 years.
I go out of my way to use tolls. My opportunity cost and fuel is worth way more than the price of a toll.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I go out of my way to use tolls. My opportunity cost and fuel is worth way more than the price of a toll.
I like neither the OTA nor turnpikes, and I don’t go out of my way to use them, but they sure are handy. There’s a round trip that I make nearly every week, and using the turnpikes cuts a solid hour out of my travel time on those days. I’ll give them their vig for that hour of time that I get back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom