Trading up worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Those that own both, understand there's a significant difference. :D In size and weight.

I know there is a difference and to each his own but if I can't carry on my belt,it goes on my ankle,I never pocket carry.I think we have a different CCW philosophy.I always dress to conceal my weapon,some dress and try to figure out how to conceal their weapon.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think we have a different CCW philosophy.I always dress to conceal my weapon,some dress and try to figure out how to conceal their weapon.

Everybody who conceal carries makes concessions and compromises. For instance, when you ankle carry, is it a full sized duty weapon? A G19? Or perhaps a G17?

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, let me simplify this. Is the difference in ballistics between the 9mm and .380 not worthwhile enough to make you work a little bit to hide the gun?

I understand there being a need for very small and easy to hide guns but to not take advantage of a ballistically better platform in nearly the exact same size bracket seems foolish to me.

Ek

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know there is a difference and to each his own but if I can't carry on my belt,it goes on my ankle,I never pocket carry.I think we have a different CCW philosophy.I always dress to conceal my weapon,some dress and try to figure out how to conceal their weapon.

At work sometimes you have little choice on how you dress. :D We do have a different philosophy as I won't ankle carry, that vid from the Albertson's on 51st and memorial a long time ago reinforces why I won't and... I've got soccer legs. The guy was several yards a way and he still couldn't get to his rig. Not that I feel pocket carry is vastly superior, it just works better for me and my body type.

I understand there being a need for very small and easy to hide guns but to not take advantage of a ballistically better platform in nearly the exact same size bracket seems foolish to me.

What's foolish is to state that these guns are in the exact same size bracket. They aren't even close.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's foolish is to state that these guns are in the exact same size bracket. They aren't even close.

As someone who not only owns these two guns but uses them I couldn't agree more. You can't just look at the specs on paper or handle them at a gun store and declare they are "close enough" to be interchangeable. It's like saying a snub-nosed airweight j-frame is the same as an all steel 3" .357 j-frame. Try them both in thin material dress slacks. The once or twice a week I wear dress slacks/shirt, IWB is out of the question and I can NOT risk being made. Tried a "down deep" IWB...no way. Pocket carry is much quicker.

As far as ankle carry it's to each their own. If someone is rushing up on me the last thing I want to do is drop to one knee or stand on one foot. The bad guy isn't always going to stand 7 yards away and wait. That's just my opinion. Carry is allways going to include compromises. Each of us just have to do what we think is best and live with it.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try them both in thin material dress slacks. The once or twice a week I wear dress slacks/shirt, IWB is out of the question and I can NOT risk being made.

I'm in the same situation 5 days a week and that's the reason I bought my P380 after trying to work around my PM9.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
english kanigit said:

GMThunder said:

Reading is fundamental.

Again, my question is this:
Is the difference in ballistics between the 9mm and .380 not worthwhile enough to make you work a little bit to hide the gun?

Obviously you have size issues on the brain but if you can look past that for even a moment I am interested in your thought process regarding the calibers.

I have neither of these guns though I have handled both extensively at the range where I work. I can see the PM380 being a tiny bit easier to pocket carry. However I can't see shortchanging myself when there are other options. Perhaps you just like working with a handycap. :buttkick:

HAWGMAN said:
Carry is allways going to include compromises. Each of us just have to do what we think is best and live with it.
This is what it all comes down to.

Ek

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reading is fundamental.

and so is reading comprehension.

Nobody is arguing if the 9mm vs .380 in terms of equality. I think most people understand the 9mm wins that battle. However, that's a moot point to some as stated earlier. Basically, you've just made some incorrect statements concering the size difference between the two. Two people that own the guns have verified this, that's right... OWN... not fondled my buddy's cousin's at the range....but actually OWN and shoot....and speaking for myself, have actually tried different carry rigs with both, in which it seems like Hawgman has aswell. All we are saying is that the PM9 didn't work in some applications as well as the P380.

However I can't see shortchanging myself when there are other options. Perhaps you just like working with a handycap

Man, I must have logged on to Warrior Talk? :thumb: I carry the largest caliber I feel comfy with and that I possibly can. Most of the time I carry a 1911 but you see in the real world there can be restrictions due to how one has to dress for work. Call me crazy but sometimes it's tough to conceal those dual DE .50s in a shoulder rig in the workplace. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom