Traditional Archery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Where’s the best place in Oklahoma to get set up with a recurve bow? Wanting to get into it and stray away from compounds. Want a place that sets you up with a bow and will give a quick lesson on how to shoot properly. Sorry if this ain’t the right place to post.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure there is a store like what you're describing for traditional, it's sort of becoming a lost art. Check out https://www.3riversarchery.com/ and look at some reviews. Just off hand, for a recurve I'd suggest a Samick Sage. Whatever you go with, keep the draw weight 40lb-50lb, it will make shooting it much more enjoyable vs the heavier draw weights. As far as shooting gloves, tabs, etc, I just prefer fingers. During cold temps, I just slip the glove off before I need to shoot. Been shooting a longbow since I was a kid, pretty enjoyable and rewarding when you connect. :) Have fun and practice, practice, practice!

ahlosojoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Davenport's archery in Prague has a supply of used recurves and can order others. Jeff probably would be willing to give you some tips on shooting. I was a recurve shooter for many years with good luck. The trick to recurves and long bow is as Okie said...Practice. I no longer have the time to practice like in the old days so I am now a compound user. Good luck with your move to traditional. One more thing that is really good advice from Okie...do not over bow yourself. Stay under 50 pounds.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What kind of recurve do you want? A cheap starter bow that is definitely hunt worthy is a Sammick Sage or similar. They are a takedown bow but not ILF spec riser or limbs.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Archery Traditions of Oklahoma in Yukon will do just what you're asking. Great family ran business with knowledgeable guys in there.

www.archerytraditionsok.com
328 Elm Ave, Yukon, OK 73099
(405) 350-1100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Found this place this summer, great traditional shop and a nice indoor range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom