Trail cams?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notime

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a cuddeback recently and put it over a feeder, the coons ripped the feeder up and spilled everything but I got no photos of this. I got only one photo of deer over about 6 weeks and am worried that it may not be working correctly. I did get 2 pics of a hawk in mid flight and an owl at night in flight so that did seem to be working good. Maybe the deer just weren't traveling there? Does anyone have any suggestions on other cams around 100 to 150 dollars, I need several and don't have enough for all cuddes. Thanks.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I haven't got a cuddeback due to the cost. I have had several other brands and I've had the best luck with the stealth cam IR. It has never failed me and it has been in the woods non stop for 3 full years.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have three of the stealth cams with the flash, not the infra red.
Also have one hi dollar cuddyback with the IR, and it sucks, and sits in my shop while the stealth cams continue to take pics one after another.

The buttons that are used to program the cuddy back fell off mid season the first year, and the 1.2MP Ir is so out of focus that you can't count the points.

Here is my take on trail cams.
On public ground, I would recomend the IR's as they can be located by the flash and stolen.
On private ground, use the flash as they give much greater detail and no matter what the manufactures say, the flash does not startle any animal any more than a flash of lightning or headlights from a nearby road. I have hundreds of pics of deer and other animals in sequential pics that don't pay any attention to it, and some in the next pic will have their face right in front of the trail cam as they are courious about it.

[Broken External Image]

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have moultree. I like the 40 (flash) over the 60 (infrared) the trigger speed seems to be faster, and they're a lot cheaper. The 60 is better on battery life, but black and white photo's suck, and it's hard to change the memory cards because it's in the battery compartment. The deer seem to notice the infrared flash more also, all the night pictures with the 60 they are looking right into it.
I only have pictures of one REALLY BIG deer on my cameras. every time he passes in front of the 60 I only get 1 picture, on the 40s I can get 3-5, regardless of where the cameras are positioned. That leads me to believe that he's bolting because of the infrared.

I think universally, they all lie about the sensor range. I would use a rule of 50% of advertised range is realistic, not that they won't pick up from a farther distance, they just won't do it consistently. So maybe you just have the camera too far away.

For reference:
THE 40
ai981.photobucket.com_albums_ae294_tjones96761_2009_20deer_20pics_MDGC0141_1.jpg

THE 60
ai981.photobucket.com_albums_ae294_tjones96761_2009_20deer_20pics_muygrande.jpg

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i have a $200 bushnell and it is great. it took over 2500 pics this year in ks and i would not buy any other cam if i got another. this is one of the best bushnell products i have ever owned. compact and easy to use.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only advice I can give is to stay away from the Remington Shureshot cams. I picked a couple up on clearance at Academy and they were complete POS. I took them back and got a moultrie. No complaints so far.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got one for $80 at basspro and it works good. I took it down to replace the batteries right before someone stole my feeder that was next to it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom