Trailer security

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just pull the little key out that’s attached to your safety cable. But… many of those switches are essentially just a one or two time use switch, they definitely don’t last. Also gonna have to make sure your brakes are properly adjusted.
The thing is, it uses a battery stored in the box. If I pulled the key, it would kill the battery without being on a charger, which really wouldn’t be an issue either.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing is, it uses a battery stored in the box. If I pulled the key, it would kill the battery without being on a charger, which really wouldn’t be an issue either.
Good point. For some reason I was thinking that the brake was normally closed/actuated, and then when the power is applied the brakes release.

Wait. Isn't that how it is? Its been a while since I wired one of those up.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good point. For some reason I was thinking that the brake was normally closed/actuated, and then when the power is applied the brakes release.

Wait. Isn't that how it is? Its been a while since I wired one of those up.
I need to check it.
Edit:
It works the way I thought. It applies the brakes using the battery when the key is pulled.

These things are cheap insurance. And very easy to bypass.

IMG_7926.jpeg

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Breakaway-Kit/Bright-Way/3802337.html

Last edited:

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 24' haulmark enclosed trailer is about 1200' down our gated driveway and can't be viewed from any public road/area. It's still locked with a hitch lock and the smaller pin lock that keeps it locked to the ball when in tow. Two crazy dogs and a wife with a gun helps if I'm not home. If I'm home, God help the theives.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I drag my John yacht out to some isolated areas sometimes, and sometimes I’m out hunting and my boat and trailer are attached to my truck. Sometimes I’m leaving my truck and trailer and going out on the boat. I use padlocks to lock my trolling motor and outboard to my boat. I padlock my boat winch to where you can’t release it to free my boat. I will use a cable to attach my boat and associated gear to my trailer, typically around the axle, and then chain it to a tree. Plastic coated Steel cable or 1/2” chain feels good and sturdy to me, and if you wanna be extra careful buy enough hydraulic hose rub guard sleeve to cover your chain/cable, it’s not easy to cut and it won’t cut with a bolt cutter.

I also keep a lock on my hitch, and a ball lock if we’re not attached to the truck. My hitch itself is bolted on, and I have marred the threads to where you have to cut the bolts off the replace the hitch. I also padlock the safety chains to my truck and use a pintle hook type hitch, and I lock the hitch too if I remember.

None of this is gonna stop someone, but if you want my stuff, you better have some time, the right tools, and the desire to really make it happen.
This will take care of all of that in about a minute.
There is virtually no chain, lock, or whatever that can prevent someone from using one of these to cut through whatever one puts on. It doesn't matter if it's hardened or not.

1697342975341.png

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
This will take care of all of that in about a minute.
There is virtually no chain, lock, or whatever that can prevent someone from using one of these to cut through whatever one puts on. It doesn't matter if it's hardened or not.

View attachment 420212
You’re very right. That hose cover definitely would though. But once you’re through that it’s on.

But the purpose of all that stuff is to just make it inconvenient. More inconvenient than the next guy. If you’re trying to make a quick buck, you have one shot. You have a brick, and two cars to choose from. Are you gonna bust out the window in the car with the doors locked, or are you gonna open up the car with the doors unlocked?

Latest posts

Top Bottom