Trailer security

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drag my John yacht out to some isolated areas sometimes, and sometimes I’m out hunting and my boat and trailer are attached to my truck. Sometimes I’m leaving my truck and trailer and going out on the boat. I use padlocks to lock my trolling motor and outboard to my boat. I padlock my boat winch to where you can’t release it to free my boat. I will use a cable to attach my boat and associated gear to my trailer, typically around the axle, and then chain it to a tree. Plastic coated Steel cable or 1/2” chain feels good and sturdy to me, and if you wanna be extra careful buy enough hydraulic hose rub guard sleeve to cover your chain/cable, it’s not easy to cut and it won’t cut with a bolt cutter.

I also keep a lock on my hitch, and a ball lock if we’re not attached to the truck. My hitch itself is bolted on, and I have marred the threads to where you have to cut the bolts off the replace the hitch. I also padlock the safety chains to my truck and use a pintle hook type hitch, and I lock the hitch too if I remember.

None of this is gonna stop someone, but if you want my stuff, you better have some time, the right tools, and the desire to really make it happen.

jeepjackazz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 3, chain them together, chain through the wheels, loosen all the lug nuts, and occasionally even leave it locked to a truck that no longer has a fuel pump relay, fuse, or battery connected in it. I dont sleep well, so honestly just waiting to hear a chain rattle and go play whack a mole with some future smooth brain in my driveway.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they want drugs bad enough, they'll steal anything. If they'll steal a farmer's John Deere tractor in his pasture, they'll steal a trailer. One way is to have state mandated tags but they'll still take the trailer. I built one and used several metal stamps and stamped a number on the trailer-and recoirded the number...somewhere.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hot wire on one side, neutral on the other, lawyer on speed dial..
That got me thinking, my trailer has a breakaway box that’s used to apply the brakes if it comes detached from the tow vehicle. I could rig it to apply the brakes if it moves. I highly doubt it could be moved without a 3/4 ton truck and the tires wouldn’t last long skidding on the pavement.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
That got me thinking, my trailer has a breakaway box that’s used to apply the brakes if it comes detached from the tow vehicle. I could rig it to apply the brakes if it moves. I highly doubt it could be moved without a 3/4 ton truck and the tires wouldn’t last long skidding on the pavement.
Just pull the little key out that’s attached to your safety cable. But… many of those switches are essentially just a one or two time use switch, they definitely don’t last. Also gonna have to make sure your brakes are properly adjusted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom