Trailer security

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Park something in front of it, add a trailer hitch lock. You're not actively stopping them, but you are trying to slow them down and make sure they make enough noise that you can get out there when they're stealing it.
THIS!

Just make it hard enough they look elsewhere.

Tongue lock and logging chain around frame and barn corner, steel post.

In case, I have a metal engraver, every trailer (boat, hay, cattle, car, horse, trash, RV) plus mowers, bicycles, plows, etc. have my DL# engraved on some hidden location.

Had a garden trailer stolen. Reported to Sheriff. Got a call, couple weeks later. They had busted a guy down the road. His barn was full of stuff. Some had been identified as stolen. Told him to look at bottom of tongue, my DL# would be engraved there.

They found the engraving. Was the Procecuters key evidence in getting the PoS sentenced. Theft in the County dropped significantly once he was locked up.

Last edited:

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not hard to tow a trailer without a ball hooked up.
Proper positioning of chains will get it gone.

I remove the tires if I know it will be sitting at a job for a few days.
My buddies trailer has a removable jack and he lets it go on the ground without the jack and tongue weight empty is 600 lbs so ya need a jack to pick it up.

Another friend made a round pipe fit over the tongue and had a padlock inside the round pipe to keep it locked up.
He went 1 step farther and ran a steel pipe through both front rims and added another lock.
Front tires will not turn without removing the pipe and lock.
Have you tried to tow a 24’ solid steel trailer without the coupler? (Probably a dumb question for you lol) The trailer weighs about 4500 lbs.

Also, if someone sees the trailer and knows anything about them, those couplers are interchangeable.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you tried to tow a 24’ solid steel trailer without the coupler? (Probably a dumb question for you lol) The trailer weighs about 4500 lbs.

Also, if someone sees the trailer and knows anything about them, those couplers are interchangeable.

No I have not but I built a trailer from a chevy S10 frame over 18 foot long to tow my 17 foot canoe.
I built it and needed to move it from the place where I built it and used my 1984 V45 Magna.
Wrapped the safety chains around the back rest.
No hitch.
Lots of fun turning corners from a 4 way stop.
Really did not care to do that twice.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep a lock on the latch and 95% of the time it is attached to the truck with the latch lock on and the other 5% of the time if im home and at night the truck is parked in front of it.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Park'em in the pasture with a mean bull, (To everyone but us). Power company wanted in the pasture to work on a line that crosses my property. Told them I couldn't come let them in at the time. They said they could go in and take care of it if I gave them combo to lock. I told them OK, but I was more worried about the bull. "Oh, it will be fine" they said. Thirty minutes later they call me back, " We made it in but your Bull won't let us out of the truck, everytime we open the truck door he charges us" I drove to my place walked up and pointed for the bull
to leave, he then walked off disappointed like aah man I was having fun. The Power company now makes sure I can be there if they need on my property. 😁 😁 😁 😁 So trailers go in the pasture unless I'm gonna use them soon.
If he sires a similar minded heifer PM me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom