Trans. blew up.. suggestions on who to call for salvage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

securityinfo

Marksman
Reaction score
Good day!

Well, ole' paint (2008 Mazda Tribute) finally laid down for the last time. 241k miles, and the transmission I had rebuilt at American Transmission 18 months and 25k miles ago blew. Anyone on the boards have input on which salvage yard or entity to call to pick it up?

Thanks!

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Pull-A-Part or LQK Pick-A-Part. They gave me $300 for a worn out vehicle with a bad engine that I couldn't give away.

One other option is to try and sell it to an individual that needs it for parts if you have time to mess with that.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never pulled an engine from a front wheel drive vehicle so don't know how difficult it may be but if the engine is still fairly dependable, with the economy headed to the skids, I would check on a used transmission.
It'd sure be a lot more reasonable than another used car. You wouldn't know what you're getting in a used one.

securityinfo

Marksman
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions! I have a second vehicle, this one was my "daily combat driver". I took care of it very well, engine still runs great. Just that the rebuilt trans blew. I may look at the donation route... that sounds like a good plan..

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
EEEWWWW front wheel drive V6 yuck.
I do not envy anyone that has to work on those V6 front drive things.
I have often thought some of those vehicles look pretty nice too bad it is Front drive V6.

I have thought convert to rear drive inline 4 or stick a Ford 302 in it with a carb those are very light and pretty efficient when set up right.
What a nightmare that would be to convert but talk about easy to work on when finished.

I have swapped many different engines in things that they should not be in.
The oddest was a 350 Buick in a mustang II.
Or maybe the 1981 Ford 200" inline 6 into a 1956 Chevy. That swap looked factory and was quite easy.

securityinfo

Marksman
Reaction score
Yeah, it went boom. Started slipping, then would not shift out of first correctly... this happened in a two day span. Replaced October of 2021. It was in warranty for a year, and best case would be they do the labor and I pay the parts... and then I'm back in it for 2k. It is a rough car, and it has served me well. It needs a detail, and it was smacked in the back but it all works fine. I just really don't want to do a tranny again. It would be a good car for an around-the-town kind of situation... but I highway drive mostly. A trans is really a fairly simple swap. Heck, it doesn't even leak any oil! :-)

Latest posts

Top Bottom