Transmission leaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Buick Enclave and I had the transmission rebuilt about a year and a half ago. It has been great ever since. Yesterday I noticed some fluid on the garage floor just under where the transmission is. Today when I got home from work I got under the car and saw where the fluid is coming from. I guess the bolt that is sticking out is the drain plug. It was unscrewed way out and fluid was coming out from where it goes in and was all around the threads. I tightened it up. Are these supposed to be left that loose? I didn’t tighten it down real tight, only enough to make it snug. The same way I do my oil drain plug. Here is a picture of the bolt after I tightened it up. I don’t know how long it is, but about a 1/4 inch or more of threads were showing before I tightened it down.
1E4912D6-1EF8-4197-B250-28C78C5A269F.jpeg

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Transmission plugs usually have a crush washer just like oil pan so might make sure they used one. It's times like this I truly appreciate my mighty vac fluid extractor since you don't have to worry about if you tightened the drain plug back up after servicing. Now if I could just relocate my oil filter on my truck to match the wife's cartridge filter, I'd never have to crawl around on my back again.:sunbath:

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Buick Enclave and I had the transmission rebuilt about a year and a half ago. It has been great ever since. Yesterday I noticed some fluid on the garage floor just under where the transmission is. Today when I got home from work I got under the car and saw where the fluid is coming from. I guess the bolt that is sticking out is the drain plug. It was unscrewed way out and fluid was coming out from where it goes in and was all around the threads. I tightened it up. Are these supposed to be left that loose? I didn’t tighten it down real tight, only enough to make it snug. The same way I do my oil drain plug. Here is a picture of the bolt after I tightened it up. I don’t know how long it is, but about a 1/4 inch or more of threads were showing before I tightened it down. View attachment 373169
As stated above, I'd expect to find a crush washer on that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom