Tuesday was a challenge with the MZ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the moon so bright that one can walk into their hunting spot without a light, I was walking without a light the 1/2 mile into my stand at 0530 across some CRP grass that is shoulder high and higher. We have driven through it so there is a two track trail that I was walking on. About 70 yds in front of me, a medium sized black animal was coming at me at high speed down the track! I unshouldered my rifle, but at that time it was on me, and I jumped into the other track as it went by...............then I heard the owl fly overhead...Scared the beJesus out of me! It was its shadow.

Got into the stand, and sat there through a perfect, beautiful morning. Had a small buck come by, then three does.

The wind picked up and started getting pretty high, so put the MZ on the rope and let it down.
Climbled down and was getting the rifle off the rope when I heard a crack.
Looking up, I was showered with debris.
Crap was hitting me forever, but when it quit, I looked up and a dead tree had broken off the ground, and fallen across the stand I had been in a minute before. Got a couple of facial scratches, but nothing that won't heal in a couple of days.
Got my stuff back together, and started cleaning it up, when I thought nobody is gonna belive this and went back to the truck to get the camera.
It was a whole lot worse before taking the pic, as I had cleaned it up.
Whats left, I can't move, and am afraid to cut it, as the trajectory will take out the braces from the ladder.
This is my favorite, never been in it, didn't see a deer stand, so I'm gonna work around the limb still up there, for awhile before cutting it down. Its a natural funnel that doesn't require any feeders or anything to see deer.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just use a hand saw and trim it back peice by peice if your affraid it will harm the stand. pretty small tree

Only problem is, when I cut the part on the stand away, the trunk is going to fall on the straps holding the stand up under the pic......The trunk is heavy enough I can't push it away with the other side of it.
To fix it, I'll have to remove the straps, etc, and drop it from the stand, hoping it won't take out the base of the stand while on it......its trickier than the pics show. Could get stranded.
Later on, we will get the tractor down there with the front loader, and get it off. Just don't want to do it now and spook some deer.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have often wondered about that happening Dennis. I have hunted near lots of dead trees that creaked and looked like they could fall any minute. I am just glad you were not in the stand.

Latest posts

Top Bottom