TUL Ammo @ Wal-Mart

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunrunner45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in Wally World yesterday and noticed they are carrying a new, cheaper brand of ammo.

Its TUL AMMO. They had it in various calibers. 9mm, .40, .45 & .223.

Couple of things I noticed. 1 its steel cased, 2 the price is about what the Federal brass cased ammo WAS. All the Federal ammo jumped about $1-2 a box. With the exception of the .223. Its around .$4.95/bx which is a few dollars cheaper than the cheapest .223 they carry until now.

Anyone used any of this ammo? I won't shoot steel cased ammo in my AR. I haven't tried any in my hand guns. Revolver, I wouldn't hesitate, but my semi-auto's? Pro's & Cons? Obviously its cheaper I get that, but does the steel cased stuff cause excessive wear on your hand guns?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Made in same factory as wolf brand.
Powder valley has tulammo primers for about 20 bucks a thousand and their supposed to be pretty good.

Don't know why your afraid of steel cases. If you went to other countries, steel case is the most common. And the people there would tell you they were afraid to shoot that brass case junk cause its too soft and might blow up their gun. hahahahaha!

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My only issue with this ammo is that it is really dirty. If you shoot it, make sure you have a boresnake to run through it every once in a while. If you aren't going to shoot a bunch at a given time, it won't even matter.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it is indeed that russian ammo as I suspect it will more than likely have a beridian primer. Make sure to at least clean the barrel so it doesnt rust from the primer. The primer has tiny bits of salt that WILL attract moistier. Left uncleaned in uncromed barrels this tends to react rather quicly and tiny rust spots will developand grow...

Steal casing works best in weapons designed to use it. ARs and min 14s tend to have extracter problems and the cases like to stick in uncromed chambers. That and some extracters breaking.

I have some weapons that like steal ammo and some that dont. Best of luck to you...

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it is indeed that russian ammo as I suspect it will more than likely have a beridian primer. Make sure to at least clean the barrel so it doesnt rust from the primer. The primer has tiny bits of salt that WILL attract moistier. Left uncleaned in uncromed barrels this tends to react rather quicly and tiny rust spots will developand grow...

Um, no.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up some 9mm and I don't have the boxes in front of me, but I believe all of the following is accurate:

1) Steel cased
2) Berdan primed
3) Non corrosive primer
4) Magnetic bullet (probably "bi-metal" jacket like most Wolf)
5) Made in Russia (at The Tula Cartridge Works)
6) It is called "TulAmmo", not "Tul Ammo"

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up some 9mm and I don't have the boxes in front of me, but I believe all of the following is accurate:

1) Steel cased
2) Berdan primed
3) Non corrosive primer
4) Magnetic bullet (probably "bi-metal" jacket like most Wolf)
5) Made in Russia (at The Tula Cartridge Works)
6) It is called "TulAmmo", not "Tul Ammo"

Its boxer primed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom