Tulsa area engine rebuilder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truckmann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can anyone here recommend a reputable shop for an LS engine rebuild in the Tulsa area?

My wife's Envoy Denali is knocking. I suspect is has spun a bearing....Again.

OliverKlohzoff

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
id buy a used factory engine.

On anything but a GM LS-series, yes. Since LS's are notorious for piston slap and bring stupid money from the salvage yards, you'd be crazy to spend that much money on an engine that most likely doesn't have much life left. Custom Motor will rebuild it for half what you would get a salvage yard motor for.

truckmann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks I'll check them out.

This engine only has 50K on it and this shouldn't have happened. I blame the first go round on a poor front sump oil pan design and a DOD system that was possibly causing oil consumption. No history on oil consumption as we haven't owned it very long. If the current knocking is, as I suspect, another spun bearing I'm guessing it's shoddy work by the machine shop I used. I have since found out it's probably the worst place I could have taken it too. I felt they screwed me over right from the get go and now it's even worse that their work is likely crap too. Live and learn I guess, even if they would honor a warranty I don't want to waste my time dealing with them again.

bmwguy25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On anything but a GM LS-series, yes. Since LS's are notorious for piston slap and bring stupid money from the salvage yards, you'd be crazy to spend that much money on an engine that most likely doesn't have much life left. Custom Motor will rebuild it for half what you would get a salvage yard motor for.
LOL if you say so, I dont know where you shop...

OliverKlohzoff

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
LOL if you say so, I dont know where you shop...

Go try to find a Camaro/Corvette LS-1 anywhere. You'll see. $2500+ for 100K miles worn out motors. Custom Motors completely rebuilt my short block with new crank, pistons, oil pump, etc. for half that.

Now....... if you're looking for a truck 4.8 or 5.3, maybe those are cheaper. As long as you stay away from the GM "piston slap" years (approx. 2000-2003), you might be OK if you get a decent deal. 2004 and up 5.3's are great motors.

Latest posts

Top Bottom