tumblers or shakers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used both, I presently have 3 vibrator cleaners, one RCBS and two Dillons. I prefer the vibrator machines, I think they clean faster than the tumblers. Both work very well. I use ground walnut hulls for cleaning and polishing, and instead of buying tumbler media, I go to the larger pet stores and buy lizard bedding. It is ground walnut hulls and comes in a largee bag, about 5 gallons worth. It is small enough diameter to not cause problems with 223 brass and works as well as any other. When it starts to get dusty and doesn't clean as well, I pour in a small amount of mineral spirits (low odor paint thinner). This renews the cleaning and polishing action and makes the media last about 5 times as long as not doing it. I also will occasionally squirt in a small amoount of liquid car polish. Doesn't really matter what brand I have used, it all seems to make the brass very bright and polished.
Mitch over at J&K Bullet Casters does large quantities of brass and uses a cement mixer as his tumbler. His stuff looks as good as any that I do with a vibrator cleaner. Good luck.. Blitzfike

Jesse

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
HEY, Blitz thanks for the information. I just started reloading and your info is great. My dad said he wish he had a shaker instead of his tumbler. About how much car polish, and how often do i need to refresh the media?

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a vibrator cleaner. I can't recall the brand. Its from the orange manufacturer. Is that Lyman? You can buy bulk tumbling media here. http://www.andersonsalesinc.com/contact.html. It's super cheap like $20/50lb bag. Red Neck Tactical recommended that I use mineral spirits and Nu Car Polish in the orange bottle. About a cap full or two of each will have you all shined up. The longer it tumbles the shinier it gets. I tumble post loading to to make it look like new.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a tumbler and my son uses a shaker..It seems the shaker works faster but they both do a good job..Jesse, common sense tells me your Dad is right but my heart tells me you're right.......I know I sure like the shinny stuff..

Cimarron

Marksman
Reaction score
Has anyone seen or used the new ultrasonic case cleaners? My old Vibra-Tek finally bit the dust and I am in the market for a new case cleaner. Dongs in Tulsa has some of the Hornady cleaners for $99.

Latest posts

Top Bottom