Turkey drought over!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally ended the one year turkey drought this weekend. Took a buddy out who'd never hunted turkey before. We got out in the afternoon and the wind was howling, I just knew it would be a painful learning experience for him. We got to our first set up, my trusty old spot where, between me and some partners, we've killed several nice toms over the years, and settled in. I would wait for a lull in the gusts and hit the box call with some yelps. I did it about three times over 15 minutes or so and was waiting for the next lull when I hear my buddy go "psst!". I glance over my shoulder to see the last of three jakes coming out of the trees. I purred a couple times and that was all they needed, they came toward us at a dead run. At about 10 yards they hit the skids and a small one kind of peeled off, he hit the first biggest one right there and I got the second as he was trying to make his escape. They never made a sound, just snuck up on us, wind was so loud it was a good thing they stepped out in the open. I had one bird talking the second morning but he clammed up when he got close and I didn't realize how close he was, he peeked over a little knob about the time I spotted him and he bailed real quick. Didn't get any real strong responses the whole time. Weather? Wind? Who knows.
Anyway, it was a great weekend, my buddy is hooked on turkey hunting now. I would like to have him along when I'm into some real active gobblers.
Hopefully my pic works here, I got his picture with both birds and his Mossberg 500.

ai1230.photobucket.com_albums_ee499_sesh3_DSCN2759.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom