Turkey Season 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Congrats FFL! Finally put it all together this evening, nothing like waiting till the last day. Had 4 jakes and 3 hens feeding where we've been working them the last couple days. Dead calm, zero wind or noise, other than the sound of buffalo gnats. We wanted to wait until these seven cleared the field before we starting any calling. While waiting, we heard two faint gobbles east of us. This place is nothing but a maze of canyons, draws, gyp cliffs and cedars, and it makes it hard to tell where and how far away things are when you hear them. It had been about 5 minutes since the last gobble, we hear a twig snap behind us..............nothing........nothing, then this gobbler spit and drums about 20' to my right, steps out from behind a cedar, proceeds to fan out, I make a cluck he raises his head and that was the end. Was just at the right place at the right time. We snapped a couple of quick pics and then got back into the hunt. We were covered up with hens the rest of the night, no more toms, no more gobbles until about 8:20 and the canyons came alive. Coyotes howling, gobblers gobbling in every direction from 3 different canyons. 20lbs, 9" beard, 1" spurs. Made for a great last day hunt. (Had to get a pic of the old Ford!)

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
ffl congrats on the big tom and i am with you on the fair weather for turkey season thats one of the big reasons i like it so well sitting in the dark and when it starts turning daylight the woods come to life birds a chirping,hens yelping toms a gobbling its great,daylight with cold weather during turkey season is no good,okie way to go glad to see you found one that wanted to comment sucide and get his picture taken,the pic on the old ford i like,thanks for sharing it

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good job ffl and okie. Couple of good lookin birds! Can't kill one sitting on the couch, gotta give em hell up till the last minute. I went out last night hoping to not end the season with a goose egg. I ended the season with a goose egg. ;)

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The season out here runs pretty late, there's actually still another 12 days left of it. I finally tagged out last weekend after missing one with my bow early in the season and having several birds bust me. Saw a ton of birds this year and got this guy out in my yard about 40 yds from my back porch, ended up ambushing him, I spotted him herding hens and couldn't get a response with the call so I let him get into some cover and hoofed it down to where I thought he'd come out, I almost stepped on the hens as they came out of the brush, hit the skids and just waited for his head to pop out. 8.75" beard and right about 1" spurs, not my biggest bird but I've had a ton of fun chasing the Merriam's again this year. I smoked him up and he tasted awesome with a side of smoked asparagus.

2013-05-04 10.07.22.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom