Tweaking 2006 Chevy Duramax Diesel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought a used 2006 Chevy Duramax. I've read a little about some very positive fuel economy improvement results reprogramming the engine, does anyone have any experience with this or any recommendations? Bullydog?

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have a 2003 duramax with The Edge juice with attitude and a bullydogg turbo tube back 4 inch exhaust. i drive the crap out of it and it averages around 17 mpg. i only have a K&N filter in the stock box. I heard EFI LIVE is the best performance chip for the duramax. its been a good truck. if you really want to get crazy buy a torque convertor and a aftermarket valvebody and you will not have to worry about your transmission or it going into LIMP mode with these chips they make these days. Im not sure if my chip helped my fuel milage or not. it makes good power though.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get some time in on a diesel or duramax forum. Try to find what other people are doing for good results. I have heard SCT and EFI Live are good products, most people seem to go with Edge Juice or Bully Dog though. I cant speak for all of these products, but the Edge Juice with attitude is like a PDA with live data on engine sensors and data, you can program warning thresholds and performance settings on the fly. I strongly suggest you get some guages to monitor a few important parameters ( Boost, Pyro, Trans temp )

Most of the time the first mods are some type of cold air intake/filter system, straight pipe or high flow straight through muffler with or without the deletes. For economy, you could just put a brick behind the throttle pedal, seriously a diesel engine is basically running wide open throttle all the time , but with a controlled/governed fuel rate. If a product claims better fuel mileage, then it is cutting the fuel rate which also cuts power output, you could do that yourself with your right foot.

If you get crazy with the power settings, you could quickly find how weak and expensive that baby Allison is. They are good transmissions but they can quickly become the weak link too.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
oh the juice with attitude will not allow you to go faster than 100 mph, thats my only complaint.

AND yes theres times i want to go faster than 100 mph, im CRAZY and out of control!!! wait for it................

Latest posts

Top Bottom