Uber, thoughts ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of Uber and Lyft which are both in Tulsa and the OKC area. I have used them multiple times and would never take a cab if Uber of Lyft is in the area. We use them both when we are staying in OKC or Tulsa as it is waaaaaaaay cheaper than a DUI or paying for parking at some events. The rides are much cleaner and nicer than a cab, the drivers never look or act like they may hit you in the head and take your money and you can pay for it on your phone and can see where your driver is while headed to get you so you no longer wonder how long it will really be before they arrive. I like to ask the drivers if they like driving for Uber/Lyft and every one of them has said yes. One guy that picked us up one night said he was at the grocery store turned on his Uber app and saw we were close and going somewhere on his route home. He said so you guys a pretty much paying for my gas to go to the grocery store on this trip. I never realized they can turn it on and pick up customers as they wanted. One guy said he was sitting at home on the couch and decided the make a few extra dollars since there was nothing on TV to watch. He said he was going to pick up a couple people then going home for the night.

My biggest concern would be some schmuck getting sick in my car or spilling stuff or something. Taxi cabs are nasty for a reason... :(

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because of its flexibility, driving for Lyft/Uber can be a great part-time gig. I've driven part-time for about a year for extra cash. I don't know much about the market in Tulsa. The RideSharing market in OKC is not huge, but is steady and growing. It's entirely a way of life in Austin.

okiearmory

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My biggest concern would be some schmuck getting sick in my car or spilling stuff or something. Taxi cabs are nasty for a reason... :(

I would think that is a concern but every Uber/Lyft ride I have been in has been as clean or cleaner than my own car. Both services have a rating system for both the driver and the customer which might help you in determining who is a good patron and who is not. I have never driven for either so I am not a lot of help on that side but I can tell you from a customer stand point it is the best.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had lots of pukers, especially given I only drive late at night during busy times (e.g., holidays, music festivals, etc.). I keep medical grade emesis bags on hand, and most people make it into the bag. I've had a couple that were so intoxicated they couldn't make it, even with help, and puked in my car...and in those cases Lyft/Uber pays to have the car professionally cleaned (i.e., they pay up front, then charge the customer for the "damage").

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bad incidents are rare with Lyft/Uber, but be prepared.

Here's a recent encounter, caught by a dashcam:

Last edited by a moderator:

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a auto magazine that did a test of Uber for cash. They basically broke even but had fun drive a Rolls Royce.
http://m.caranddriver.com/features/our-night-as-an-uber-driver-using-a-500000-rolls-royce-feature-just-a-fancy-uber-ride-page-2

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a auto magazine that did a test of Uber for cash. They basically broke even but had fun drive a Rolls Royce.
http://m.caranddriver.com/features/...s-royce-feature-just-a-fancy-uber-ride-page-2

Which is why I only drive during peak times/days/etc. For example, I drove last night for 6 hours, and grossed $60 per hour...which is still good money after expenses. I would not want to try to make a living doing it full-time. But if you have the flexibility to drive when you want, it can work out nicely.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had lots of pukers, especially given I only drive late at night during busy times (e.g., holidays, music festivals, etc.). I keep medical grade emesis bags on hand, and most people make it into the bag. I've had a couple that were so intoxicated they couldn't make it, even with help, and puked in my car...and in those cases Lyft/Uber pays to have the car professionally cleaned (i.e., they pay up front, then charge the customer for the "damage").

So, are they required to pay with a CC? If its cash, how can uber charge the customer for clean-up?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, are they required to pay with a CC? If its cash, how can uber charge the customer for clean-up?

That's not how Uber works, you have to have a previously set up account. There is no exchange between the driver and customer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom