UN Global Tax?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The UN charter grants no taxation power to the organization - all funds come from donations of one type or another (and some from sales).
The plan mentioned would have to be locally taxed, gathered and then voluntarily handed over to the UN and that isn't likely to happen any time soon - and I'm glad for that.

I happen to think that the US needs to stay in the UN because we have some very effective controls over what goes on there - like, for instance, the Security Council veto.
The UN sub-agencies have also been very effective at certain regional activities. There is also something to be said for a standing international forum where nations can,essentially, gather to gripe once or twice a year without fear of starting a war. Likewise useful deals have been struck between countries through the use of their UN diplomats. So, the UN is useful as a forum for sovereign nations - I do not under any circumstance support "empowering" the UN itself as a sovereign entity - it should and must remain a tool of nations not over nations.

Latest posts

Top Bottom