Union Pacific "Big Boy" Steam Engine in Oklahoma Soon -NOV16

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That puppy should be coming right by my house. Well not right by but about 1/4 mile away. We went down there a year or two ago and watched an old steam engine come thru. I need to charge folks $3 to park all over our feed road that runs parallel to the tracks there.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cool! My gf and I are planning to hit the antiques shops in Claremore on Saturday. We’ll definitely have to locate this crossing to check out that big boy.

Thanks for posting.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to Ft Gibson, 30 minute stop there. Taking six cameras and three tripods, so I'll be somewhat busy. Only other operating steam locomotive I've seen was many, many years ago, pulling a log train into the sawmill at Wright City, OK.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's bugging the heck out of me that I can't remember what the one was that came through a couple years ago. It had several tall wheels. I had a video of it coming by on my old phone but that phone doesn't work anymore.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I understand that last link in the OP, all stops are in the "viewing only" class of stop. It also explains what "viewing only" means.

"Viewing Only – Locations where fans can safely view the Big Boy. In some cases, the Big Boy will be displayed behind a fence or other perimeter. Unlike display days, the Experience the Union Pacific Rail Car will not be available for tours and merchandise will not be sold. Unless otherwise noted on the schedule, all stops are "viewing only" locations."

I'd like to attend one of the "showings," but I'd want more access around the engine for photographs so I could photograph details of the "running gear" and other mechanical things. According to the description above, some may be a situation where one can't get close to it at all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom