University of Colorado Segregates Students Based on Carry Permits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I see your point, we don't have to practice our rights, but people can't choose race. How about comparing it to religion? What if UC segregated the dorms based on religion. Since people choose to practice religion, they couldn't complain about the segregated dorms, right? If they don't want to be discriminated against, they just don't practice religion. Seems fair. What do you think? Not trolling, just discussing.

Good point. Using my own logic, I'd have to agree with you that these two would definitely be a good comparison. I'd like to se someone with some legal expertise weigh in on this bc these two do seem comparable to me.

it would seem that this program denies equal protection to people who choose to exercise their Second Amendment rights.
It could be agued that it increases their protection by surrounding them with other law abiding carrying citizens. If you go the "it jeopardizes their safety" you'd be playing into the hands of those who say surrounding yourself with law abiding carriers is unsafe.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since it's already been documented that there is under reporting and cover ups of of crime on campuses why would we expect any more truthful reporting from this school now?

As for segregation of firearms we already allow that, anyone living in public housing are denied the right to have a firearm for protection but they're poor and that's their choice right?

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're forgetting one thing. It's not a crime if the university police don't put it on the blotter. :(

There we have it, gotta protect the school's rep/image so the money keeps coming in.

[After the body of an Eastern Michigan University freshman was found in her dorm room in December 2006, naked from the waist down with a pillow over her head, the chief of the university police said there was “no reason to suspect foul play,” and let her parents believe she had died of natural causes.]

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/12/u...asy.html?_r=3&pagewanted=1&ref=general&src=me

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to throw it out there, being openly gay is a choice. We can't segregate gays can we?

Some will argue they were born gay, fine, but I was born able to carry a firearm too. Choosing to do so is no different than choosing to be open about your sexual orientation.

I'd have loved it if I was segregated into an "All Guns" dorm vs an "All Guys" dorm in college. Finding someone to go shooting with would have been a breeze.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way the law gets involved in segregation is when it involves a "protected class". Gun owners would not be a "protected class" in the eyes of the law but would probably be the most protected class.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm. The comments have made re rethink this whole thing. See i'm not completely stubborn.

One thing I didnt think of before was that this is a public university. A private would be able to do what they want. This is different. I didnt think of that before.

As far as the homosexual born that way vs choice thing. I have an opinipn there too and since i was the op i'll go ahead and hijack. This is really a spiritual issue with me. I believe its a sin. I caan also be fine with the argument that some are born that way. We are all born with a sin nature anf struggle with different temptations. Just because its natural or u r born that way doesnt mean its not sin. Just because i have a natural attraction for willing women doesnt mean i should make the CHOICE to act on it. Sex outside of marriage would be a sin no matter how natural yhe desire

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sin or not, it's no basis for treating somebody differently before the law. Your morality is between you and your deity of choice; the government's job is to treat people equally.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sin or not, it's no basis for treating somebody differently before the law. Your morality is between you and your deity of choice; the government's job is to treat people equally.

+1 We are to love people either way.

PS. (I mean like brotherly love. Not like... nevermind)

Latest posts

Top Bottom